CSC Academic All-District Honors Released
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Five student-athletes from No. 14 BYU men's track and field have been awarded Academic All-District honors, announced the College Sports Communicators organization Tuesday morning.
Recipients are selected by College Sports Communicators (CSC) and recognized for being among the nation's top student athletes for their combined performances in the classroom and their athletic realm.
- Ben Barton - The sophomore multi-athlete from Birmingham, Michigan holds a cumulative GPA of 3.74. Having competed in both the 2023 indoor and outdoor seasons this year, he became No. 10 all-time at BYU in the 60-meter hurdles (7.98) and No. 2 all-time in school history in the heptathlon. Barton also posted BYU's No. 6 all-time decathlon score at 7,734 on May 13 at BYU's Last Chance Meet to qualify for next week's NCAA National Championships in Austin, Texas.
- Casey Clinger - The senior distance runner from American Fork, Utah is a Business Management major with a 3.84 GPA. For cross country, the four-time All-American placed seventh at NCAA Nationals while also being named 2022 WCC Runner of the Year. During the 2023 indoor season, he became the school record-holder in the 3,000m, 5,000m and as a member of the distance medley relay team while finishing as the runner-up in the 5,000-meters and fourth in the 3,000-meters at indoor nationals. The senior is fresh off qualifying in both the 5,000m and 10,000m for outdoor nationals.
- Trey Jackson - The sophomore sprinter from Alpine, Utah has achieved a GPA of 3.91 while contributing as a squad member of two school relay records set this season (indoor 4x400m: 3:05.73, outdoor 4x400m: 3:03.19). Jackson also became No. 3 all-time in the indoor 400-meters (46.36). Jackson earned qualifying status for last week’s NCAA West Regionals in three events: the 400m, 4x100-meter relay and 4x400-meter relay.
- Kenneth Rooks - The junior distance runner from Walla Walla, Washington is a civil engineering major with a GPA of 3.96. In cross country, Rooks was named All-WCC Second Team honors. On Feb. 18, the junior was a member of the DMR squad that shattered a school-record with a 9:21.18 time at Notre Dame. He had a historic May, including an 8:17.62 3,000-meter steeplechase performance that is now third in NCAA history for the event. Since then, Rooks was awarded USTFCCCA Men’s National Athlete of the Week May 9 and named to the prestigious Bowerman Watch List on May 17. He will compete next week at outdoor nationals after having placed second overall at last week’s NCAA West Preliminaries.
- Caleb Witsken - The senior pole vaulter from Logandale, Nevada is an exercise science major with a GPA of 3.99. A four-time All-American, Witsken became No. 3 all-time at BYU in the indoor pole vault (5.66m/18-6.75) in January 2023. He also holds the No. 3 all-time outdoor clearance at BYU (5.56m/18-3). After placing seventh at last week’s NCAA West Preliminaries, he is the only Cougar to qualify in the event for NCAA Nationals next week. He will aim to earn his first outdoor First Team All-American honors.
The USTFCCCA recognized 27 BYU men's track and field athletes with All-Academic honors on July 13.