Pronunciation: Dee-Angelo Man-DELL
Mandell played defensive back at BYU from 2017-22 and appeared in 53 games, including 24 starts. He posted 79 total tackles (48 solo). His accomplished career includes the following highlights:
- In 2022, he tallied 18 tackles (six solo), a 0.5 tackle-for-loss and a pass breakup. He registered a career-high six tackles against No. 24/25 Oregon.
- Started all 13 games in 2021, becoming one of only three defensive players and six players overall to do so. His career-best season included 36 tackles (25 solo, one for loss) and four pass breakups during BYU's 10-3 finish and No. 19 final AP ranking. His four pass breakups tied Jakob Robinson and Payton Wilgar for second on the team.
- In 2019, he had 21 total tackles, including 17 solo stops. He also added two tackles for loss.
*See Year tab for additional information
- Parents are Daisy and Darrell
- Major: Family Life
- Played both ways at Del Norte
- Three-time All-CIF selection
- Four-time first-team all-league selection
- Three-time first-team North County selection
- Totaled 44 tackles and had one interception as a senior
- Also caught 23 balls for 323 yards and one touchdown
- Also returned kicks
- Coached by Patrick Coleman
- Ran track, including the 100, 200 and 400-meter events
- Ran an 11.1 in the 100 as a junior and 200 in 21.82
- Also recruited by USC, Washington, Washington State and Vanderbilt
- Played in all 13 games, starting four
- Totaled nine tackles including six solo stops
- Recorded a season-high three tackles against then No. 17 Utah
- Played in all 13 games, including five starts at corner
- Had 21 total tackles, including 17 solo stops
- Also added two tackles for loss
- Had a career-best five tackles at Utah State and added a quarterback hurry
- Posted tackles for loss against Boise State and Liberty
- Defensive player of the week vs. Liberty
- Started all 13 games, one of only three defensive players and six players overall to do so in 2021.
- Career-best season with 36 tackles (25 solo, one for loss) and four pass break-ups
- Tied a career-high with five tackles against both Arizona and No. 19 Arizona State.
- Tied with Jakob Robinson and Payton Wilgar for second on the team in pass break-ups at four.
- Played in nine games, starting four
- Made 18 tackles (six solo), 0.5 tackle-for-loss and a pass breakup
- Played in eight games, starting one
- Had six total tackles including two solo stops
- Totaled 0.5 tackles for loss against Texas State
22FTB PRAC 8-23 132.jpg