BYU faces No. 16 Saint Mary’s in UCU WCC semifinals
LAS VEGAS – BYU’s run through the 2023 University Credit Union West Coast Conference tournament continues on Monday, March 6, when the Cougars face off against No. 16 Saint Mary’s in the semifinals. Tip is scheduled for 6 p.m. PST at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Monday’s contest will be broadcast on ESPN. Greg Wrubell and Mark Durrant will also be on the call on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio Sirius XM 143 and KSL 102.7/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (18-14, 7-9 WCC)
- BYU advanced to Monday’s semifinal following a 73-63 victory over Loyola Marymount on Saturday evening.
- Rudi Williams scored a team-high 23 points in the Cougars win over the Lions, going 11-of-12 from the free throw line which were the fifth-most in a conference tournament game in program history.
- Spencer Johnson scored in double figures for the 15th time this season and 29th time in his career on Saturday. The junior is shooting 46.0 percent from 3-point range, which is the 12th highest in a single season in program history.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 164-96 (8th Season)
- Record at BYU: 87-40 (4th Season)
No. 16 Saint Mary’s Notes (25-6, 14-2 WCC)
- Saint Mary’s shared the WCC regular season title and earned the No. 1 seed in the tournament after finishing the regular season 25-6 overall and 16-2 in league play.
- Logan Johnson was named the WCC Defensive Player of the Year after anchoring a Gaels defense that ranks fifth in the nation in scoring defense.
- Aidan Mahaney ranks second on the team in scoring as the freshman in scoring 14.6 points per game, shooting 44.0 percent from the field, 40.9 percent from three and 73.8 percent from the free throw line.
Head Coach – Randy Bennett
- Alma Mater: UC San Diego, 1986
- Division I Career Record: 505-206 (22nd Season)
- Series Record: Saint Mary’s 19-18
- Last Meeting: SMC won, 71-65 (2/8/23)
- H/A/N: 13-6/3-11/2-2
- TV: ESPN
- TV Talent: Dave Flemming, Sean Farnham
- Streamed Audio: BYU Radio Sirius XM 143, KSL 102.7/1160 AM, BYURadio.org, BYU Radio app
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell, Mark Durrant
- Live stats: BYUCougars.com
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced Friday that Michael Davie has been named the men’s basketball…