BYU continues postseason play, face Loyola Marymount on Saturday
LAS VEGAS – With its comeback victory over Portland on Friday evening, BYU advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2023 University Credit Union West Coast Conference tournament where the Cougars will face Loyola Marymount on Saturday, March 4, at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. PST.
Saturday’s contest will be broadcast on ESPN2. Greg Wrubell and Mark Durrant will also be on the call on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio Sirius XM 143 and KSL 102.7/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (18-14, 7-9 WCC)
- BYU erased a 13-point halftime deficit in the opening five minutes of the second half in its 82-71 victory over Portland in the second round of the WCC tournament on Friday evening.
- Richie Saunders scored a career-high 18 points in the Cougars win over the Pilots, going 5-of-10 from the field, 3-of-6 from three and 5-of-5 from the free throw line. The freshman also pulled down a career-high five offensive rebounds.
- Fousseyni Traore has scored in double figures in a career-best 10 consecutive games after going for 14 points and nine rebounds against the Pilots. He also had five offensive rebounds on Friday, giving him 180 for his career which are the 14th most all-time in program history.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 166-96 (8th Season)
- Record at BYU: 85-40 (4th Season)
Loyola Marymount Notes (19-11, 9-7 WCC)
- Loyola Marymount earned the No. 4 seed in the UCU WCC tournament after going 19-11 overall and 9-7 in league play which included wins over Gonzaga, Saint Mary’s and BYU.
- The Lions ranks 22nd in the nation in 3-pointers per game and 30th in 3-point attempts per game (25.5/game).
- First team All-WCC performer Cam Shelton has been on a tear for the Lions as the senior guard is averaging 30.8 points per contest over his past five games, shooting 52.0 percent from the field, 48.6 percent from three and 80.5 percent from the free throw line.
Head Coach – Stan Johnson
- Alma Mater: Southern Utah, 2003
- Division I Career Record: 43-38(3rd Season)
- Series Record: BYU leads 23-6
- Last Meeting: BYU won, 89-61 (2/2/23)
- H/A/N: 11-2/9-4/3-0
- TV: ESPN2
- TV Talent: Dave Flemming, Sean Farnham
- Streamed Audio: BYU Radio Sirius XM 143, KSL 102.7/1160 AM, BYURadio.org, BYU Radio app
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell, Mark Durrant
- Live stats: BYUCougars.com
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced Friday that Michael Davie has been named the men’s basketball…