BYU opens UCU WCC tournament play on Friday evening against Portland
LAS VEGAS, Nevada – BYU opens its final University Credit Union West Coast Conference tournament on Friday, March 3, when the Cougars face Portland at Orleans Arena in Las Vegas, Nev. Tip is scheduled for 6 p.m. PST.
Friday’s contest will be broadcast on BYUTv. Greg Wrubell and Mark Durrant will also be on the call on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio Sirius XM 143 and KSL 102.7/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (17-14, 7-9 WCC)
- BYU earned the No. 5 seed for the WCC Tournament following a 87-61 victory over San Francisco in Rudi Williams and Gideon George final game at the Marriott Center.
- Williams eclipsed 1,000 points for his Division 1 career in the win over the Dons as the senior finished with 21 points, going 15-of-16 from the free throw line.
- Fousseyni Traore was one of three Cougars to pick up All-WCC honors as the sophomore was name to the second team after leading the Cougars in scoring and rebounding during the regular season.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 162-96 (8th Season)
- Record at BYU: 85-40 (4th Season)
Portland Notes (14-18, 5-11 WCC)
- No. 8 seed Portland advanced to Friday’s second round matchup against BYU following a 92-74 victory over San Diego where the Pilots hit a school and WCC tournament record 19 3-pointers.
- Second team All-WCC performer Moses Wood was one of five Pilots in double figures as the junior finished with 19 points, going 6-of-12 from the field and 3-of-7 from 3-point range.
- Tyler Robertson recorded a double-double, finishing with a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds to go along with six assists.
Head Coach – Shantay Legans
- Alma Mater: Fresno State, 2004
- Division I Career Record: 108-82 (6th Season)
- Record at Portland: 33-33 (2nd Season)
- Series Record: BYU leads 26-2
- Last Meeting: BYU won, 71-58 (12/31/22)
- H/A/N: 15-0/10-2/1-0
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Spencer Linton, Blaine Fowler
- Streamed Audio: BYU Radio Sirius XM 143, KSL 102.7/1160 AM, BYURadio.org, BYU Radio app
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell, Mark Durrant
- Live stats: BYUCougars.com
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced Friday that Michael Davie has been named the men’s basketball…