BYU heads to the Bay Area, face Santa Clara on Thursday
PROVO, Utah – BYU returns to the road this week with a pair of games in the Bay Area, beginning with a showdown against Santa Clara on Thursday, January 19. Tip is scheduled for 8 p.m. PST at the Leavey Center.
Thursday’s contest will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network. Greg Wrubell and Mark Durrant will also be on the call on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio Sirius XM 143 and KSL 102.7/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (14-7, 4-2 WCC)
- BYU returned to the win column on Saturday with a 91-71 victory over Pepperdine where six Cougars scored in double figures.
- Fousseyni Traore finished with a game-high 19 points, nine rebounds and three blocks. In two career games against Pepperdine, Traore is averaging 22.0 points and 14.0 rebounds while shooting 77.3 percent from the floor.
- In six West Coast Conference games this season, Spencer Johnson is averaging 11.8 points and 2.3 steals per game while shooting 54.2 percent from the field, 63.2 percent from three and 87.5 percent from the free throw line.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 159-89 (8th Season)
- Record at BYU: 82-33 (4th Season)
Santa Clara Notes (15-5, 3-2 WCC)
- Santa Clara has won two of its last three games following a 92-81 victory over Pacific on Saturday evening in Stockton, Calif.
- The Broncos are led by Herb Sendeck, who has gone 112-89 during his seven-year tenure at Santa Clara.
- Brandin Podziemski is one of the top scorers in the league as the sophomore is scoring 18.7 points per game, shooting 46.2 percent from the field, 39.6 percent from behind the arc and 79.5 percent from the free throw line.
Head Coach – Herb Sendek
- Alma Mater: Carnegie Mellon, 1985
- Division I Career Record: 525-384 (29th Season)
- Record at Santa Clara: 112-89 (7th Season)
- Series Record: BYU lead 32-7
- Last Meeting: Santa Clara won 77-76, 1/27/22
- H/A/N: 18-2/11-5/3-0
- TV: CBS Sports Network
- TV Talent: Carter Blackburn, Pete Gillen
- Streamed Audio: BYU Radio Sirius XM 143, KSL 102.7/1160 AM, BYURadio.org, BYU Radio app
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell, Mark Durrant
- Live stats: BYUCougars.com
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced Friday that Michael Davie has been named the men’s basketball…