Men’s basketball opens 2022-23 season with exhibition against Ottawa
PROVO — BYU men’s basketball opens its 2022-23 campaign on Wednesday, Nov. 2, when the Cougars host Ottawa (Ariz.) in an exhibition. Tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Marriott Center.
Wednesday’s contest will be broadcast on BYUtv and BYUtv app. Jason Shepherd and Mark Durrant will also be on the call on BYURadio.org and BYU Radio app.
BYU Notes (0-0, 0-0 WCC)
- BYU returns six players including senior Gideon George from last season’s team that went 24-11 including the programs 15th trip to the NIT
- The Cougars were picked to finish third in the West Coast Conference Coaches Poll released at the conference’s media day in October.
- Fousseyni Traore was one of two underclassmen named to the All-WCC Preseason Team
- Traore enters his sophomore season after having one of the best freshman campaigns in program history in 2021-22, breaking program records in rebounds and offensive rebounds by a first-year player.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 145-82 (8th Season)
- Record at BYU: 68-26 (4th Season)
New Year, New Capacity
- The capacity of the Marriott Center is now 17,978 after new chairs were installed in the upper level this summer.
Ottawa Notes (0-0, 0-0 GSAC)
- Ottawa is coming off the most successful season in program history in 2021-22 where they won a program record 24 games and GSAC Tournament Championship.
- The Spirit are led by Matt Keeley, the two-time NCCAA West Region Coach of the Year, who has led UOAZ to record of 69-68 during his tenure in Surprise, Ariz.
- All-American Josiah De’laCerda returns for his senior season after averaging 17.2 points and 7.1 rebounds per game, shooting 56.3 percent from the field, 36.9 percent from 3-point range and 70.6 percent from the free throw line.
Head Coach – Matt Keeley
- Alma Mater: MidAmerica Nazarene
- Record at OUAZ: 69-68 (6th Season)
- Series Record: First all-time meeting
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Dave McCann, Blaine Fowler, Spencer Linton
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYU Radio app
- Radio Talent: Jason Shepherd, Mark Durrant
- Live stats: BYUCougars.com
BYU men’s basketball head coach Mark Pope announced Friday that Michael Davie has been named the men’s basketball…