BYU to face UCLA in NCAA Tournament first round Saturday
INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – BYU men’s basketball will face UCLA (18-9, 13-6) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament at historic Hinkle Fieldhouse Saturday. The Cougars and Bruins have faced each other 22 times all-time and have split the contests 11-11. They last met last season at the Maui Invitational, with BYU winning 78-63.
The game will be broadcast on CBS at 9:40 p.m. EDT. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (20-6, 10-4 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 20-6, most recently falling to No. 1 Gonzaga in the WCC Tournament Finals.
- BYU is a No. 6 seed in the NCAA Tournament for the second time. The last time was in 1981, when BYU and Danny Ainge made it to the Elite 8, BYU’s longest run in an NCAA Tournament.
- This is the Cougars’ 30th NCAA Tournament appearance and first since 2015. BYU is one of only 25 teams to make 30 or more appearances in the tournament.
- BYU has a 15-32 record in the tournament, dating back to the first Cougar appearance in 1950. BYU had a stretch of six straight appearances from 2007-2012 and eight appearances in nine seasons from 2007-2015. This will be BYU’s first appearance under head coach Mark Pope, after last season’s team, which was a lock for the tournament, had to face the disappointment of the season ending abruptly and the tournament being cancelled due to COVID-19.
- BYU has wins this season over Loyola Marymount, Portland (twice), Pacific (twice), Pepperdine (twice), San Francisco (twice), Saint Mary’s (twice), Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The six losses were to USC, Boise State, No. 1 Gonzaga (three times) and Pepperdine.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 15.9 points, 4.6 assists and 4.7 rebounds per game. He scored a career-high 29 points where he was 7-for-7 beyond the arc, a BYU record for most 3-pointers in a game without a miss, earlier this season against San Francisco.
- Brandon Averette and Matt Haarms, BYU’s other two senior leaders along with Barcello, are the next behind Barcello in scoring with 11.5 and 11.3 points per game respectively.
- Barcello is an honorable mention AP All-American.
- Barcello was named to the WCC First Team. Averette and Haarms were named to the WCC Second Team. Haarms was the WCC Defensive Player of the Year.
- All-WCC Freshamn Team awardee Caleb Lohner has led the team in rebounding all season, averaging 7.0 boards per game. Lohner had a breakout game offensively against Pacific, racking up a career-high 19 points on 6-of-8 shooting, including 5-of-6 from beyond the arc. He followed that up with an 18-point performance against LMU, continuing to shoot lights-out from the field.
- BYU’s bench production has been big this season, outscoring opponents in 23 of 26 games played.
- The Cougars had a stretch where seven different players led them in scoring in eight games.
- BYU has never lost back-to-back games in the Mark Pope era and has the third-longest active streak of games played without consecutive losses at 60. The two teams above them are Houston and Gonzaga.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 121-70 (6th season)
- Record at BYU: 44-14 (2nd season)
UCLA Notes (18-8, 13-6 Pac-12 Conference)
- UCLA is 18-9, most recently defeating Michigan State 86-80 in an NCAA Tournament play-in game Thursday.
- UCLA is a No. 11 seed in the NCAA Tournament.
- The Bruins are making their 50th appearance in the NCAA Tournament, their first since 2018.
- UCLA came into the tournament led by Johnny Juzang, averaging 14 points per game. He’s one of five players averaging 10 or more points this season.
Head Coach – Mick Cronin
- Alma Mater: Cincinatti, 1997
- Division I Career Record: 401-192 (18th Season)
- Record at UCLA: 36-21 (2nd Season)
- All-Time Series: tied 11-11
- Last Meeting: BYU won 78-63 at the Maui Invitational last season
- All-Time NCAA Tournament Series: tied 2-2
- 1950 - NR BYU wins 83-62 over No. 7 UCLA
- 1965 - No. 2 UCLA wins 100-76 over No. 9 BYU
- 1971 - No. 1 UCLA wins 91-73 over No. 20 BYU
- 1981 - No. 16 BYU wins 78-55 over No. 10 UCLA
- In the NCAA tournament, BYU has faced UCLA more than any other opponent
- TV: CBS
- TV Talent: Andrew Catalon (play-by-play), Steve Lappas (analyst), AJ Ross (sideline)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUCougars.com
Fredette, Team USA win silver at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
2011 Naismith Award Winner Jimmer Fredette helped the United States win the silver medal at the 2023 FIBA 3x3 World Cup…
Jimmer Fredette set to represent United States at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
Former BYU men’s basketball star Jimmer Fredette will represent the United State of America at the FIBA 3x3 World Cup…