BYU to take on LMU on the road Saturday
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball will face LMU (11-6, 6-3) Saturday at the Gerstin Pavilion in Los Angeles, Calif. The Cougars are coming off of a dominant 80-52 win over Pacific on Thursday, bouncing back after a 10-day stretch without a game. LMU defeated San Francisco 68-63 on Thursday. The Lions have won four games in a row.
The BYU-Pacific game will air on CBS Sports Network at 12 p.m. PST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
The CBS Sports Network broadcast will be a special analytics-driven presentation of Saturday’s BYU-Loyola Marymount matchup, bringing fans inside the world of college basketball analytics. In preparing for the telecast, CBS Sports production teams met with members of both coaching staffs to better understand how their programs utilize advanced stats in their practices, planning and in-game decision making in unique ways. The production will use this information, in conjunction with in-game advanced stats, to show viewers this utilization in action. The production will feature in-game segments, specially crafted graphics and analysis to highlight team and player performances beyond conventional stats as well as how programs are using analytics to better understand their teams strengths and weaknesses to gain an edge. Special guest analyst and current Penn Head Coach Steve Donahue will provide insight throughout the game from his unique perspective as an active coach alongside CBS Sports’ Jason Horowitz and Chris Walker.
BYU Notes (16-5, 7-3 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are 16-5, most recently defeating Pacific 80-52.
- BYU is No. 2 in the WCC standings, with an .811 adjusted winning percentage.
- BYU has wins over Portland (twice), Pacific (twice), Pepperdine, San Francisco, Saint Mary’s, Weber State, Texas Southern, No. 18 San Diego State, Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The four losses were to USC, Boise State, No. 1 Gonzaga (twice) and Pepperdine.
- BYU is led by senior guard Alex Barcello who is averaging 15.4 points, 4.6 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game. Barcello has been among the top three-point shooters in the nation this season, but has cooled off a bit recently. He had 15 points in the most recent game against Pacific.
- Brandon Averette and Matt Haarms, BYU’s other two senior leaders along with Barcello, are the next behind Barcello in scoring with 11.3 and 10.7 points per game respectively.
- Freshman Caleb Lohner has led the team in rebounding almost all season, averaging 6.7 boards per game. Lohner had a breakout game offensively against Pacific, racking up a career-high 19 points on 6-of-8 shooting, including 5-of-6 from beyond the arc.
- BYU’s bench production has been big this season, outscoring opponents in 19 of 21 games played.
- BYU has never lost back-to-back games in the Mark Pope era and has the third-longest active streak of games played without consecutive losses at 55. The two teams above them are Houston and Gonzaga.
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 117-69 (6th season)
- Record at BYU: 40-13 (2nd season)
LMU Notes (11-6, 6-3 West Coast Conference)
- LMU is 11-6, with its most recent result being a 68-63 win over San Francisco.
- LMU is No. 5 in the WCC standings, with a .485 adjusted winning percentage.
- The Lions have won four games in a row and are just one conference win behind BYU, but all of their WCC wins have come against teams in the bottom half of the conference standings.
- LMU has wins this season over San Francisco (twice), Santa Clara, Pacific, Portland, San Diego, Cal Poly, UC Irvine, Long Beach State and Southern Utah. The Lions’ six losses have come to Santa Clara, Saint Mary’s, Pacific, UC Santa Barbara and Minnesota (twice).
- The matchup against BYU will be LMU’s first time this season taking on one of the conference’s top three teams: Gonzaga, BYU and Pepperdine. The Lions will face all three teams, once each, in a seven-day stretch to conclude their regular season schedule.
- LMU is led by senior guard/forward Eli Scott who is averaging 17.9 points per game. He is No. 4 in WCC scoring. Scott is No. 2 in WCC rebounding, pulling down 8.2 boards per game.
- Sophomore guard/forward Dameane Douglas and bruising sophomore forward Keli Leaupepe are the other two Lions averaging double figures in points with 13.5 and 10.1 respectively.
Head Coach – Stan Johnson
- Alma Mater: Bemidji State, 2003
- Division I Career Record: 11-6 (1st Season)
- Record at LMU: 11-6 (1st Season)
- All-Time Series: BYU leads 13-5
- Last Meeting: BYU won 77-54 at LMU on Feb. 13, 2020
- TV: CBS Sports Network
- TV Talent: Jason Horowitz (play-by-play), Chris Walker (analyst), Steve Donahue (analyst)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
Fredette, Team USA win silver at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
2011 Naismith Award Winner Jimmer Fredette helped the United States win the silver medal at the 2023 FIBA 3x3 World Cup…
Jimmer Fredette set to represent United States at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
Former BYU men’s basketball star Jimmer Fredette will represent the United State of America at the FIBA 3x3 World Cup…