BYU to take on undefeated San Diego State on Friday
PROVO, Utah – BYU men’s basketball heads to San Diego State this week for a Friday game versus the Aztecs (5-0). This will be the 73rd meeting between the former conference foes. BYU leads the overall series 48-24.
The game will be broadcast on CBS Sports Network at 2 p.m. PST. It will also be broadcast live on the BYU Sports Network on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2 and KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM.
BYU Notes (6-2, 0-0 West Coast Conference)
- The Cougars are off to a 6-2 start, with wins over Utah, Utah State, St. John’s, Utah Valley, New Orleans and Westminster. The two losses were to USC and Boise State.
- BYU is led by Alex Barcello who is averaging 17.8 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.9 assists per game. Barcello has scored 142 points in eight games (as of Dec. 14) good for No. 6 in the nation in points scored. He is shooting a blistering 62.2% from three and 61% from the field.
- Barcello is 76 of 146 from beyond the arc (52.1%) in his BYU career. He is currently the Cougars all time three-point percentage leader. Nate Call is second at 45.6%.
- BYU forward Caleb Lohner was named the West Coast Conference Freshman of the Week on Monday after helping the Cougars to an 82-64 victory over Pac-12 rival Utah last Saturday. The true freshman leads BYU in rebounding at 6.8 boards per game. He is averaging 5.1 points per game and is tied for the team lead in steals (7) and is second in free-throws made (11).
Head Coach – Mark Pope
- Alma Mater: Kentucky, 1996
- Division I Career Record: 106-66 (5th)
- Record at BYU: 29-10 (2nd)
San Diego State Notes (5-0, 0-0 MW)
- SDSU is 5-0 and coming off a big road win at No. 23 Arizona State. The Aztecs have also defeated No. 22 UCLA, UC Irvine, St. Katherine and Pepperdine.
- In the 2019-20 season, San Diego State defeated BYU at the Marriott Center 76-71. SDSU overcame a nine-point deficit in the second half, led by senior guard Jordan Schakel who hit 5-7 three-pointers.
- The Cougars last beat SDSU during the 2010-11 season when Jimmer Fredette and No. 9 BYU took down Kawhi Leonard and the fourth ranked Aztecs in Viejas Arena. Prior to the current streak for the Aztecs, BYU had won 8 of 10.
- SDSU head coach Brian Dutcher followed Steve Fischer from Michigan to SDSU and served as the associate head coach from 1999-2017. Dutcher coached with Fischer at Michigan for nine years where he won a national championship and played a vital role in recruiting the Fab Five. He was the 2020 MWC Coach of the Year.
Head Coach – Brian Dutcher
- Alma Mater: Minnesota, 1982
- Division I Career Record: 77-26 (4th Season)
- Record at SDSU : 77-26 (4th Season)
- Series Record: BYU leads 48-26
- Home: 29-4
- Away: 18-18
- Neutral: 1-4
- Last Meeting: SDSU won 76-71, 11/09/2019
- The Aztecs’ current four-game win streak is its longest in the series
- BYU’s longest win streak lasted 11 games from 01/06/1990 - 01/12/1995
- TV: CBS Sports Network
- TV Talent: John Sadak (play-by-play) and Steve Lappas (analyst)
- Radio: BYU Sports Network, BYU Radio Sirius XM 143/89.1 FM HD2, KSL 102.7 FM/1160 AM
- Streamed Audio: BYURadio.org, BYUCougars.com/LiveRadio and the BYU Radio, BYUCougars and BYU Gameday apps
- Radio Talent: Greg Wrubell (play-by-play), Mark Durrant (analyst)
- Live Stats: BYUcougars.com
Fredette, Team USA win silver at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
2011 Naismith Award Winner Jimmer Fredette helped the United States win the silver medal at the 2023 FIBA 3x3 World Cup…
Jimmer Fredette set to represent United States at FIBA 3x3 World Cup
Former BYU men’s basketball star Jimmer Fredette will represent the United State of America at the FIBA 3x3 World Cup…