- Named all-conference by the Daily Herald in 1937-38
- Scored 19 points in a 55-49 loss to league-leading Colorado on Jan. 29, 1938
- Scored 22 points in a 74-41 win over Denver on Feb. 26, 1938
- Was ninth in the Big 7 in scoring as a senior in 1937-38
- Hit the game winner with 15 seconds left in a 37-36 win at Utah on Feb. 15, 1935
- Played for the Provo Lions after graduating from BYU
- From the Daily Herald on Nov. 17, 1949 in 'The Sports Beat' by Ray Schwartz
Although Lavar was small in stature and never saw much action in high school until late in his senior year, he became one of the most dramatic players ever to play for BYU as well as one of its most exciting to watch. His greatest ability was that of "stealing" the ball from the opposition and dribbling down the floor for game saving baskets in the final seconds. He used to drive Cougar opponents crazy with these tactics.