Women Drop Match to No. 34 Pepperdine
Malibu, Calif --In its final regular season match, the BYU women’s tennis team battled No. 34 Pepperdine on its home court, falling 7-0 to the Waves.
Pepperdine took an early 1-0 lead after sweeping the doubles matches. It went up 2-0 with the straight sets win at No. 6 singles with the Waves’ Andrea Oates defeating BYU’s Andie Young 6-0, 6-0.
At No. 4 singles, BYU’s Megan Price played a tough match before falling 6-4, 6-1 to Ali Waters, giving the homestanding Waves a 3-0 advantage.
Coming off the court next was the Cougars’ Morgan Anderson who dropped her match to No. 119 ranked Ale Granillo 6-1, 6-0 at the No. 2 singles position.
At No. 5 singles the Cougars’ Aubrey Paul kept the first set close 7-5, 6-4 but was not able to pick up a win.
Playing a great first set, BYU’s Meghan Sheehan-Dizon was the last to come off the court, but eventually lost in straight sets 7-6, 6-3.
The Cougars (7-14, 3-5) now prepare to compete in their first ever West Coast Conference Tennis Championship beginning Wed., April 25 in San Diego. The winner of the tournament receives an automatic bid into the 2012 NCAA Championships.
BYU-0, No. 34 Pepperdine 7
1. #60 Khunpak Issara (PEP) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #119 Ale Granillo (PEP) def. Morgan Anderson (BYU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Arianna Colffer (PEP) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 7-6, 6-3
4. Ali Walters (PEP) def. Megan Price (BYU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Megan Moore (PEP) def. Aubrey Paul (BYU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Andrea Oates (PEP) def. Andie Young (BYU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6,4,2,1,5,3
1. #32 L. Guillermo/K. Issara (PEP) def. M. Price/M. Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 8-2
2. A. Walters/A. Colffer (PEP) def. D. Tran/M. Anderson (BYU) 8-2
3. A. Oates/M. Moore (PEP) def. A. Paul/L.Waldron (BYU) 6-5
Order of finish: 2,1,3
BYU women's tennis head coach Holly Hasler announced the signing of transfer Kendall Kovick on Thursday.