Huskies Overpower Netters
SEATTLE -- The No. 24 women of Washington handed the No. 64 BYU women’s tennis team its first loss Saturday as the Cougars fell 6-1 in Seattle. With the defeat, the squad falls to 1-1 on the season.
“The team played very well,” BYU coach Joey Johnson said. “This match gives us a gauge of what we need to work on for the rest of the season.”
Doubles play belonged to the Huskies as they took all three pairs matches. BYU’s No. 18 pair dropped an 8-3 decision to Joyce Ardies and Denise Dy, the No. 11 duo in the country.
Play continued to go Washington’s way in singles with Ardies and Dy notching two more wins to begin. Chie Hayasaka managed to capture one point for the Cougars with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Lina Xu on court three.
“Chie played some serious tennis,” Johnson said. “She played extremely well in both matches this weekend.”
The BYU senior’s win was not enough to hold off the Huskies, and Washington seized the remaining matches in straight sets to seal the victory.
“All of the players fought hard and it was a great start to the season,” Johnson said. “The positive thing about playing such a tough team early in the schedule is that it helps us understand the areas where we need to get better.”
BYU will next take the court Feb. 4 at home against No. 74 Wichita State.
No. 24 Washington-6
No. 64 BYU-1
1) (11) Ardies/Dy (UW) def. (18) Jones/Price (BYU), 8-3
2) Smith/Chan (UW) def. Doerr/Nedokovic (BYU), 8-1
3) Malovic/Xu (UW) def. Hayasaka/Ezhova (BYU), 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) (11) Venise Chan (UW) def. (54) McCall Jones (BYU), 6-4, 6-4
2) (3) Denise Dy (UW) def. Kristina Doerr (BYU), 6-1, 6-1
3) Chie Hayasaka (BYU) def. Lina Xu (UW), 6-4, 7-5
4) Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Elizaveta Ezhova (BYU), 6-0, 6-2
5) Samantha Smith (UW) def. Megan Price (BYU), 7-5, 6-4
6) Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Romina Nedakovic (BYU), 7-6 (4), 6-4
Order of finish: 4, 2, 3, 6, 5, 1
Women's Tennis Finishes No. 75 in Final ITA Poll
BYU women's tennis finished No. 75 in the final rankings for the 2023 season released by the ITA today. The Cougars…
Women's Tennis Year in Review: "This season was inspiring"
The 2022-23 BYU women's tennis team went 13-9, 6-3 in conference play, 6-3 at home, 6-4 on the road, and 1-2 playing at…