No. 35 Cougars Pillage No. 52 Red Raiders
PROVO -- Saturday was another great day for BYU women's tennis as the No. 35 BYU Cougars toppled the No. 52 Red Raiders of Texas Tech University on the Red Raiders home courts.
"It was a good road trip for us," BYU head coach Craig Manning said. "We're pretty tired and the girls are pretty beat up, but we played good doubles and we played fantastic tennis in the first set of the singles. There was a massive hometown crowd cheering right in our ears, but we played some really clutch tennis when we had to."
The Cougars started off the match sweeping the doubles competition. Sofia Holden was not able to play with Lauren Jones like they have done all season due to an injury Holden incurred Friday in a match at Arkansas. The status of her knee is unsure at the moment and she will likely get an MRI on Monday. Even though she was missed, Chie Hayasaka stepped up and got the win with Jones at the No. 2 doubles spot.
After taking the initial doubles point, the Cougars continued to dominate the singles competition. Hayasaka and Anastasia Surkova both won in straight sets at Nos. 4 and 2. Kristina Doerr and Dolly Chang both won in three sets apiece at Nos. 3 and 6. Jones lost at No. 1 in three sets after controlling the first set and Jenny Miccoli lost in a third-set tiebreaker in only her second singles match of the spring season.
The win is the fourth in a row for BYU as the team improves to 6-4 overall. The Cougars' next match will be Friday, March 2 in Provo as BYU hosts No. 47 Colorado.
BYU 5, Texas Tech 2
1. Surkova/Miccoli (BYU) def. Durham/van der Drift 8-4
2. Hayasaka/Jones (BYU) def. Jackson/Wagley (TTU) 8-7
3. Chang/Doerr (BYU) def. Fankam/Potgieter (TTU) 8-3
1. Samantha van der Drift (TTU) def. Lauren Jones (BYU) 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. Anastasia Surkova (BYU) def. Lakann Wagley (TTU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Kristina Doerr (BYU) def. Janet Durham (TTU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Chie Hayasaka (BYU) def. Kerryn Potgieter (TTU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Anne Sophie Fankam (TTU) def. Jennifer Miccoli (BYU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
6. Dolly Chang (BYU) def. Maria Jose Andres (TTU) 6-4, 4-6, 10-8
Doubles Order of Finish - 3, 1*, 2
Singles Order of Finish - 2, 4, 1, 3*, 5, 6
* indicates clinching victory
BYU women's tennis junior Jacque Dunyon is looking forward to competing in the Big 12 this upcoming season and is…