No. 4 Cougars to face No. 5 Pilots in opening round of WCC Tournament
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO – The West Coast Conference has released the bracket and match times for the 2023 WCC Women's Tennis Tournament, scheduled for this Thursday-Saturday, April 27-29, in San Diego. BYU has qualified for the tournament as the No. 4 seed.
The Cougars will face fifth-seeded Portland on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. PDT. The Cougars won the teams’ regular season contest 7-0 on March 25 in Provo, Utah. The winner of Thursday’s opening round match will advance to Friday’s semifinal versus No. 1 Pepperdine, the tournament’s top seed.
A live stream and live stats for the whole tournament can be found here:
BYU finished 6-3 in conference play and will look to win its first-ever WCC Tournament in its final year in the conference.
The full schedule for the tournament and all other notable information for the matches this weekend can be found here.
The Aztec Tennis Center on the campus of San Diego State University will host the entire tournament. The men's tournament will also be held concurrently at the same venue.
- The Cougars are 12-8, with wins against Pacific and St. Mary's last week.
- Head coach Holly Hasler is 57-45 at BYU in her fifth season. She is assisted by Gabby Curtis, who is in her second season.
- Sophomore Success: Jacque Dunyon is 12-4 and Bobo Huang is 14-5 in singles play.
- Freshmen Sensations: Emmie Moore is 13-4 and Tina Li is 14-6 in singles play.
- The Cougars are in their final season in the WCC.
- The Pilots are 10-8 with a win over Gonzaga (5-2) last week.
- Head coach Filip Zivkovic is in his second season leading the women's tennis program.
- Portland finished the season 2-5 in WCC play.
- BYU-Portland Series Record: BYU leads 11-2
- Last Meeting: The Cougars won 7-0 on Mar. 25, 2023, in Provo. The full results to that match can be found here.
BYU women's tennis head coach Holly Hasler announced the signing of transfer Kendall Kovick on Thursday.