No. 54 Cougars dominate singles and defeat Mustangs 5-2
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – No. 54 BYU women's tennis defeated Cal Poly 5-2 on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Cougars improved to 8-5 on the season, 4-4 on the road.
Freshman Tina Li continued her hot streak winning her 11th singles match of the season. Sophomore Bobo Huang won her ninth singles match of the year and her second on the road trip.
- D. Dunkle/P. Dunkle (Cal Poly) def. Astle/Moore 6-3
- Huang/Li (BYU) def. Bhunu/Buntrock 6-3
- LaMette/Ozerets (Cal Poly) def. Jiao/Wheatley 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
Astle and Moore, at No. 1 doubles, were defeated and fell as a tandem together in their first match as a doubles pairing this season.
Huang and Li, at No. 2 doubles, got their second doubles win of the road trip defeating Bhunu and Buntrock.
Jiao and Wheatley, at No. 3 doubles, were defeated by LaMette and Ozerets, securing the doubles point for the Mustangs.
- Bobo Huang (BYU) def. Kim Bhunu 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
- Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Melissa LaMette 6-1, 6-3
- Tina Li (BYU) def. Delanie Dunkle 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Peyton Dunkle (Cal Poly) def. Helen Jiao 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
- Emmie Moore (BYU) def. Alexandra Ozerets 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Kara Wheatley (BYU) def. Kennedy Buntrock 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 5, 6, 4
Astle, at No. 2, defeated LaMette in two sets, improving to 6-6 on the year in singles.
Huang, at No. 1, defeated Bhunu in three sets and gave the Cougars a 2-1 lead in the match.
Li, at No. 3, won in three sets over D. Dunkle, getting BYU within one more victory of clinching the match.
Moore, at No. 5, was victorious against Ozerets, improving her singles record to 9-1 on the season. The win for Moore also clinched the overall match for the Cougars.
Wheatley, at No. 6, got the victory over Buntrock for her third singles win of the season (3-4).
Jiao, at No. 4, fell in three sets to P. Dunkle for just her third singles loss of the season (3-3).
The Cougars return to action next week, Friday, Mar. 24 for a home conference match against Gonzaga on the indoor tennis courts. First serve is set for 12:00 p.m. MDT.
BYU women's tennis junior Jacque Dunyon is looking forward to competing in the Big 12 this upcoming season and is…