BYU opens season with 7-0 victory over Weber State
OGDEN, Utah – BYU women's tennis opened the 2023 season with a 7-0 road victory over Weber State Friday. The Cougars quickly secured the doubles point before sweeping the singles matches.
- Astle/Huang (BYU) def. Morett/Davies 6-3
- Li/Moore (BYU) def. Ferreira/Semenik 6-3
- Dunyon/Wheatley (BYU) def. Lombardi/Lolofie 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
Astle and Huang started the match off strong for BYU at no. 1 doubles and continued where they left off from the fall season winning 6-3, helping clinch the doubles point.
Li and Moore at no. 2 doubles got the Cougars' first doubles win of the day/season, winning 6-3.
Dunyon and Wheatley at no. 3 doubles helped complete the doubles sweep for BYU, winning 7-5 in a tight match.
- Bobo Huang (BYU) def. Ana Morett 6-2, 6-2
- Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Megan Lombardi 7-5, 7-6, (8-0)
- Jacque Dunyon (BYU) def. Megan Davies 7-5, 1-6, 6-3
- Tina Li (BYU) def. Kenadee Semenik 7-5, 6-2
- Kara Wheatley(BYU) def. Dylan Lolofie 6-2, 6-0
- Emmie Moore (BYU) def. Cindy Ping An 6-2, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 1, 4, 2, 6, 3
Just as the Cougars went undefeated in doubles play, they did the same in singles.
Huang at no. 1 defeated Morett in two sets (6-2, 6-2).
Astle at no. 2 defeated Lombardi in two sets after a second-set tiebreak (7-5, 7-6, (8-0).
It took Dunyon (no. 3) three sets to defeat Davies (7-5, 1-6, 6-3) after falling in the second.
Li in her first collegiate dual match (no. 4) defeated Semenik 7-5, 6-2.
Wheatley at no. 5 defeated Lolofie in two sets 6-2, 6-0.
Moore in her first collegiate dual match (no. 6) defeated Ping An 6-2, 6-3.
The Cougars return to action next week on Saturday, Feb. 4 against Washington State. The home match will begin at 12:00 p.m. MST.
BYU women's tennis junior Jacque Dunyon is looking forward to competing in the Big 12 this upcoming season and is…