BYU women's tennis falls 4-0 to No. 4 Cal
BERKELEY, Calif. – BYU women’s tennis opened the ITA Kick-off Weekend with a 4-0 loss to No. 4 California at the Hellman Courts.
BYU dropped its doubles matches as the Golden Bears took their first point of the day. Junior Emilee Astle and sophomore Kara Lin fell first in their match against Erin Richardson and Julia Rosenqvist 6-1 in the No. 3 spot. Senior Leah Heimuli and junior Helen Jiao were defeated 6-2 by Haley Giavara and Valentina Ivanov as they competed in the No. 1 spot. The No. 2 match with senior Anastasia Abramyan and freshman Bobo Huang against Jessica Alsola and Katja Wiersholm was abandoned with the Golden Bears up 4-3.
Cal continued its win streak into singles play. Freshman Madison Smith fell 6-0, 6-1 to Hannah Viller Moeller, followed by Abramyan’s defeat to Alsola 6-0, 6-2. The Golden Bears' fourth and final point came after a hard-fought match, as Heimuli competed against Giavara, pushing in both sets before finally falling 6-4, 6-4.
BYU will compete on day two of the ITA Kick-off against the losing team in the Vanderbilt-San Diego match in the consolation match at 10 a.m. PST on Jan. 29.
1. Haley Giavara/Valentina Ivanov (Cal) def. Leah Heimuli/Helen Jiao (BYU), 6-2*
2. Jessica Alsola/Katja Wiersholm (Cal) vs. Anastasia Abramyan/Yujia Huang (BYU), 4-3 (Unfinished)
3. Erin Richardson/Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) def. Emilee Astle/Kara Lin (BYU), 6-1
Order of Finish – 3, 1*
*Clinched the doubles point
1. Haley Giavara (Cal) def. Leah Heimuli (BYU), 6-4, 6-4^
2. No. 108 Valentina Ivanov (Cal) vs. Jacque Dunyon (BYU), 6-2, 5-3 (Unfinished)
3. No. 110 Jessica Alsola (Cal) def. Anastasia Abramyan (BYU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Julia Rosenqvist (Cal) vs. Yujia Huang (BYU), 6-4, 1-3 (Unfinished)
5. Katja Wiersholm (Cal) vs. Helen Jiao (BYU), 6-3, 4-3 (Unfinished)
6. Hannah Viller Moeller (Cal) def. Madison Smith (BYU), 6-0, 6-1
Order of Finish – 6, 3, 1^
^Clinched the overall match
BYU women's tennis junior Jacque Dunyon is looking forward to competing in the Big 12 this upcoming season and is…