Cougars head to Louisiana for Purple & Gold Challenge
PROVO, Utah — Back in the win column, BYU softball makes the trip to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to take on No. 12/14 LSU, Louisiana Tech and NC State in the Tiger’s Purple & Gold Challenge this week.
|Purple & Gold Challenge Game Information|
|Opponent||Date||Time||Live Stream||Live Stats|
|No. 12/14 LSU||Thursday, March 30||6 p.m. CDT||SEC Network+||Stat Broadcast|
|Louisiana Tech||Friday, March 31||2 p.m. CDT||N/A||Stat Broadcast|
|No. 12/14 LSU||Friday, March 31||7 p.m. CDT||SEC Network+||Stat Broadcast|
|NC State||Saturday, April 1||11 a.m. CDT||N/A||Stat Broadcast|
Only the games involving LSU will be streamed on SEC Network+. Both of the Cougars' matchups with the Tigers will also have radio broadcasts. Thursday's contest will be available on LSU Sports Radio while Friday night's game will be carried on 107.3 FM. Tickets are available through LSU Athletics.
BYU picked up an early week win at Utah Tech on Monday, outlasting the Trailblazers 14-11. The Cougars got home runs from second baseman Alyssa Podhurcak-Foss, shortstop Ailana Agbayani and first baseman Huntyr Ava in the game, with Agbayani also pitching the final 3 2/3 innings to earn the victory.
Podhurcak-Foss has homered in the last two games after hitting a solo shot against Boise State last week as well. Agbayani’s homer was the first of her BYU career, while Ava’s six long bombs lead the team through 22 games.
Eight different BYU hitters recorded hits in the win at Utah Tech, including Agbayani, third baseman Martha Epenesa, Podhurcak-Foss and outfielder Alexis Gilio, who each tallied three hits apiece in the game, as the Cougars upped their season hitting percentage to .293.
Catcher Hailey Morrow continues to lead the team with a .354 batting average and 19 RBI, while Ava paces BYU with a .766 slugging percentage. Left fielder Maddie Bejarano has a team-high .500 on-base percentage and 15 walks.
Agbayani and Gilio both have the two-longest active hitting and reached-base streaks at six and four, respectively. The shortstop leads the team with eight multi-hit games, while Morrow’s six multi-RBI games leads the Cougars.
No. 12/14 LSU (26-6, 4-5 SEC)
- The Tigers earned a series win at Ole Miss last weekend, dropping the series opener on Friday before picking up 2-0 and 3-1 wins on Saturday and Sunday
- LSU’s common opponents with BYU are Oregon State (12-0 (5), 3-0 wins), Utah (6-4, 2-1 wins) and WCC foe LMU (6-5 win)
- In 12 seasons as head coach at LSU, Beth Torina has a 476-209 (.695) record
- The Tigers lead the all-time series, 3-0
- LSU has been ranked in the top-15 during all three previous matchups
- The two teams last met on March 22 and 23, 2018, with the Tigers winning 2-1 and 8-0
Louisiana Tech (19-12, 4-5 C-USA)
- The Bulldogs will play at Northwestern State on Tuesday night before heading to Baton Rouge for the Purple & Gold Challenge
- Louisiana Tech has split its last two Conference USE series, falling to Middle Tennessee at home, but earning the series win at Florida Atlantic two weeks prior
- In between those two series, the Bulldogs also played at then-No. 21 Texas A&M, dropping the single game, 6-3. The Aggies are the only common opponent between the two teams.
- Louisiana Tech’s longest win streak this season is five games
- Josh Taylor is in his second season with the Bulldogs, posting a 58-32 (.644) record since 2022
- BYU leads the all-time series, 5-1, and is 3-0 against Louisiana Tech at neutral sites
- The two teams last played on May 10, 2012, with the Cougars picking up a 6-1 win
- BYU head coach Gordon Eakin is 3-1 against the Bulldogs, and 1-0 against them at neutral sites
NC State (11-20, 4-8 ACC)
- The Wolfpack play North Carolina A&T on Wednesday night before travel to Louisiana for the Purple & Gold Challenge
- NC State was swept at Louisville last weekend, snapping a four-game win streak that including a series sweep of Boston College two weeks ago
- The Wolfpack dropped a 4-2 contest to Long Beach State during the opening weekend of the season, NC State’s only common opponent between the two teams
- In five seasons at NC State, Jennifer Patrick-Swift is 120-101 (.543)
- The Wolfpack and Cougars have never met in softball
BYU will make the drive up to Pocatello next Tuesday, April 4 for a single game at Idaho State before opening West Coast Conference play with a three-game series at Santa Clara on April 7-8 next weekend.
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin named Allie Hancock-Schneemann assistant coach on Tuesday.