Cougars to host Aggies on Thursday
PROVO, Utah — BYU softball looks to bounce back as it plays host to in-state foe Utah State at Gail Miller Field on Thursday afternoon. The matchup was originally scheduled for 5 p.m. MDT, but will be moved up three hours to 2 p.m. in an effort to avoid inclement weather expected in the forecast.
- Live Stream: BYUtv app
- Talent: Spencer Linton & Jason Shepherd
- Live Stats: Stat Broadcast
- Admission: Free
The Cougars (14-7, 0-0 WCC) suffered an 8-3 loss at the hands of Boise State on Tuesday afternoon, snapping a six-game win streak. Despite the loss, shortstop Ailana Agbayani went 3-for-4 with a double and an RBI to lead all BYU hitters.
Designated player Alyssa Podhurcak-Foss hit a solo home run in the game, her first of the season. The shot to center field made it four consecutive games that the Cougars have hit a long ball out and added to their season tally, now at 17.
Catcher Hailey Morrow leads the team, having reached base safely in 11-straight games and tallying hits in the last nine. The freshman from Las Vegas, Nevada also has team highs in batting average (.378), slugging percentage (.733), on-base percentage (.500) and RBI (18).
First baseman Huntyr Ava paces BYU with five home runs and sits just behind Morrow with a .714 slugging percentage and 17 RBI. Left fielder Maddie Bejarano and Morrow have recorded the two most walks this season, at 13 and 11, respectively.
Utah State (10-13, 2-1 MWC)
- The Aggies took two of three against New Mexico to open their Mountain West conference play last weekend
- Utah State also has wins over Saint Mary's, San José State, Montana and Utah Valley this season
- The Aggies have had two 3-game win streaks in 2023
- 10 seasons in as head coach at Utah State, Steve Johnson is 196-262 (.428)
- BYU leads the all-time series, 42-3, and has won the last four matchups dating back to 2018
- BYU head coach Gordon Eakin is 33-3 against the Aggies, with a 20-2 record against them at Gail Miller Field
- The Cougars have a 25-2 record against Utah State at home.
The Cougars will conclude their four-game homestand on Saturday, welcoming Idaho State back to town for a doubleheader at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. MDT. Both games will be televised on BYUtv and streamed on the BYUtv app.
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin named Allie Hancock-Schneemann assistant coach on Tuesday.