No. 2 BYU finishes league play in battle for No. 1 seed
PROVO, Utah – No. 2 BYU men’s volleyball finishes regular-season play this week with league matches at No. 4 Pepperdine and No. 5 UCLA. The Cougars will compete with the No. 1 seed for the conference tournament on the line.
With at least a share of the regular-season league title already secured, BYU (19-5, 9-1 MPSF) needs to win at least one of its two matches this week (or have the Waves and Bruins each lose their other match of the week) in order to secure the No. 1 seed for the MPSF Tournament.
With a No. 1 seed, the Cougars would host the semifinals and finals of the conference tournament and have a bye through the quarterfinals. With a No. 2 or No. 3 seed, BYU would only host the quarterfinals.
No. 4 Pepperdine
- The Cougars face off against the Waves (14-6, 7-3 MPSF) at the Firestone Fieldhouse Thursday, April 5, at 7 p.m. PDT.
- Pepperdine leads the overall series history between the squads 32-30.
- BYU has won the past three meetings, including a five-set come-from-behind win at home earlier this season.
- The Cougars are just 10-23 when playing the Waves on the road.
- Pepperdine has won their past four-consecutive matches after losing three of four before that.
No. 5 UCLA
- BYU finishes out the week playing at conference rival UCLA (20-6, 7-3 MPSF) Saturday, April 7, at 7 p.m. PDT at Pauley Pavilion.
- The Cougars hold a 34-31 lead in the all-time series history and is the only school with an overall winning record against the Bruins.
- BYU has won eight-straight matches against UCLA, including picking up a sweep at home earlier this year.
- The Cougars are only 11-20 when competing against the Bruins on their home court.
- UCLA had won five matches in a row following its loss to BYU in March before falling at cross-town rival USC last week.
Thursday’s match against Pepperdine will be streamed live on TheW.tv. Saturday’s contest at UCLA will be televised live by the Pac-12 Network. Live stats will be available for both matches and can be found on the BYU men’s volleyball schedule page.
BYU men's volleyball freshman outside hitter Trent Moser has been added to the official travel roster for the 2023 FIVB…