Barnes Tennis Center
4490 West Point Loma Boulevard San Diego CA 92107-1006
Cougars End Run in WCC Tournament
SAN DIEGO – Playing in its first West Coast Conference Tennis Championships, the No. 6 seeded BYU women’s tennis team reached the second round Thursday where it fell to No. 3 seed San Diego, 4-1, to end its 2012 season.
"The girls fought hard today and the match just didn't fall in our favor," BYU coach Lauren Jones-Spencer said. "I'm really proud of the team and the season we've had."
The Cougars (8-15) and Toreros (11-9) split the first two doubles wins. BYU’s No. 1 doubles pair of senior Megan Price and freshman Meghan Sheehan-Dizon edged out Juliette Coupez and Laura Claus, 8-5, while junior Aubrey Paul and freshman Lisa Waldron fell 8-1 at the No. 3 position.
With the doubles point on the line on Court 2, San Diego topped freshman Morgan Anderson and sophomore Desiree Tran, 8-5, to take a 1-0 lead in the match.
The Toreros took straight set wins on courts 1 and 6, over Tran and junior Andie Young, respectively, to kick off singles play. Playing in her final match as a Cougar, Price posted a 6-3, 7-5 win over Anna Depenau at the No. 4 position to earn BYU its lone point of the match.
Playing at the No. 3 position, Sheehan-Dizon went up a set on Claus before Claus came from behind to take the match 2-6, 6-2, 6-0 and capture the second round win for the Toreros.
The remaining matches were not finished with San Diego clinching the win.
The Toreros advance to the semifinals where they challenge No. 2 seed Saint Mary’s. No. 1 seed Pepperdine and No. 5 seed Santa Clara face off in the other semifinal match.
Women's Match #5
No. 3 San Diego def. No. 6 BYU, 4-1
1. Megan Price/Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) def. Juliette Coupez/Laura Claus (USD) 8-5
2. Maja Sujica/Anna Depenau (USD) def. Morgan Anderson/Desiree Tran (BYU) 8-5
3. Stephanie Hoffpauir/Cara Brown (USD) def. Aubrey Paul/Lisa Waldron (BYU) 8-1
1. Juliette Coupez (USD) def. Desiree Tran (BYU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Stephanie Hoffpauir (USD) vs. Morgan Anderson (BYU) DNF
3. Laura Claus (USD) def. Meghan Sheehan-Dizon (BYU) 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
4. Megan Price (BYU) def. Anna Depenau (USD) 6-3, 7-5
5. Marite Raygada (USD) vs. Aubrey Paul (BYU) DNF
6. Maja Sujica (USD) def. Andie Young (BYU) 6-0, 6-0