Season Ends with Shot at No. 1
STANFORD -- Stanford, the No. 1 team in the nation and three-time defending national champion, was all on cylinders as they knocked No. 28 BYU out of the 2007 NCAA Women's Tennis Championship Saturday.
With the loss, the Cougars' five-match winning streak comes to an end and they finish the season with a record of 22-7. Stanford now has an NCAA winning streak of 20 matches dating back to 2003 and only lost one match during the 2007 regular season.
All six players in the Cardinal's starting lineup are ranked in the top 100 in the nation, with four of them in the top 20. Despite the Cardinal's firepower, BYU head coach Craig Manning said his team contended well against the top team in the nation.
"I feel like we have the same talent level that Stanford has, but they had more confidence and a better focus than we did," Manning said. "Strategically we were with them and we were only a few key points behind them. It's been a great season and now we're going to work extra hard on our focus and confidence and hopefully we'll get another chance to play them again next year."
The Cougars fought to keep the match close in doubles play and did so at the onset. However, the No. 21 pair of Lindsay Burdette and Anne Yelsey topped No. 34 Anastasia Surkova and Jenny Miccoli, 8-4, in a battle of nationally ranked teams on court one.
Kristina Doerr and Sofia Holden of BYU were up on court three when Lauren Jones and Dolly Chang lost on court two to cede the doubles point.
Doerr and No. 82 Surkova were each up a break in the second set of their matches against the No. 14 player and No. 8 player, respectively, before play was stopped. Holden lost to No. 20 Jessica Nguyen on court five, Jones lost to No. 17 Yelsey on court two, and Chie Hayasaka lost to No. 96 Whitney Deason to seal the match.
NCAA Women's Tennis Championship
Saturday, May 12, 2007 12 p.m.
Taube Family Tennis Stadium Stanford, Calif.
No. 1 Stanford Cardinal (22-1, 8-0 Pac-10) 4
No. 28 BYU Cougars (22-7, 7-1 Mountain West) 0
(1) No. 21 Burdette/Yelsey (STAN) d. No. 34 Surkova/Miccoli (BYU) 8-4
* (2) Hodzic/Nguyen (STAN) d. Jones/Chang (BYU) 8-5
(3) Doerr/Holden (BYU) led Deason/Logar (STAN) 6-5, aban.
Order of Finish: 1, 2
* denotes clinched doubles point
(1) No. 8 Theresa Logar (STAN) led No. 82 Anastasia Surkova (BYU) 6-2, 3-5, aban.
(2) No. 17 Anne Yelsey (STAN) d. Lauren Jones (BYU) 6-1, 6-3
(3) No. 14 Celia Durkin (STAN) led Kristina Doerr (BYU) 6-3, 5-3, aban.
* (4) No. 96 Whitney Deason (STAN) d. Chie Hayasaka (BYU) 6-2, 6-1
(5) No. 20 Jessica Nguyen (STAN) d. Sofia Holden (BYU) 6-0, 6-1
(6) No. 41 Lindsay Burdette (STAN) led Dolly Chang (BYU) 6-4, 5-0, aban.
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4
* denotes clinched match