Outdoor Tennis Courts
150 E Provo UT 84602
Astle and Dunyon defeat No. 1 doubles team, No. 74 Cougars fall to No. 5 Waves 5-2
PROVO, Utah – Despite Emilee Astle and Jacque Dunyon's defeat of the No. 1 ranked doubles team in the nation, No. 74 BYU women's tennis fell to No. 5 Pepperdine 4-3 on Saturday afternoon on Senior Day.
- Astle/Dunyon (BYU) def. No. 1 Tjen/Broadus 6-2
- Huang/Li (BYU) UF. No. 33 Zaar/Thamchaiwat 3-3
- Jiao/Wheatley (BYU) def. Redelijk/ A. Campana 6-0
Order of finish: 3, 1
Jiao and Wheatley, at No. 3 doubles, jumped out to an early 3-0 lead and eventually defeated Redelijk and A. Campana.
Astle and Dunyon, at No. 1 doubles, trailed 2-1 early but quickly rebounded and led 4-2 before defeating Tjen and Broadcus, clinching the doubles point for the Cougars.
Huang and Li, at No. 2 doubles, were tied at 3-3 with Zaar and Thamchaiwat before the match was left unfinished.
- Janice Tjen No. 11 (PEP) def. Bobo Huang 7-5, 6-3
- Lisa Zaar No. 30 (PEP) def. Emilee Astle 6-1, 6-2
- Savannah Broadus No. 18 (PEP) def. Tina Li 6-4, 6-1
- Jacque Dunyon (BYU) def. Bunyawi Thamchaiwat 6-4, 6-3
- Nikki Redelijk (PEP) def. Helen Jiao 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
- Anna Campana (PEP) def. Emmie Moore 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 2, 3, 4, 6, 1, 5
Astle, at No. 2, fell in the first set 6-1 and was defeated by Zaar in the second set 6-2.
Li, at No. 3, was defeated in two sets by Broadus.
Dunyon, at No. 4, defeated Thamchaiwat in two sets, picking up the first singles win of the day for BYU.
Moore, at no. 6, was defeated in two sets and fell to A. Campana.
Huang, at No. 1, lost the first set 7-5 and was defeated by Tjen in the second set 6-3. The win for Tjen clinched the overall match for Pepperdine.
Jiao, at No. 5, fell in two sets to Redelijk to close out the day.
The Cougars return to action next week, Friday, April. 21 against Pacific. First serve is set for 12:00 p.m. PDT.
No. 74 BYU to host. No. 5 Pepperdine on Senior Day
PROVO, Utah — No. 74 BYU women's tennis will host No. 5 Pepperdine for its final home match of the season on Saturday, April. 15. Seniors Xenia de Luna and Helen Jiao will be recognized for their contributions to the women's tennis program on senior day.
- The Cougars are 10-7, with a loss against No. 16 Washington last week.
- BYU is ranked No. 74 in the nation.
- Head coach Holly Hasler is 55-44 at BYU in her fifth season. She is assisted by Gabby Curtis, who is in her second season.
- Sophomore Success: Jacque Dunyon is 10-3 and Bobo Huang is 12-4 in singles play.
- Freshmen Sensations: Emmie Moore is 11-3 and Tina Li is 13-4 in singles play.
- The Cougars are in their final season in the WCC.
- The Waves are 13-2 with a win over Gonzaga (7-0) last week.
- Head coach Per Nilsson is in his ninth season leading the women's tennis team.
- Stephenson is 183-39 all-time at Pepperdine.
- The Waves are ranked No. 5 in the nation.
- BYU-Pepperdine Series Record: Pepperdine leads 19-6
- Last Meeting: The Waves won 7-0 on Mar. 12, 2022, in Malibu