Aztec Tennis Center
5500 Campanile Drive San Diego CA 92182
No. 4 BYU sweeps No. 5 Portland, advances to WCC Semifinal
SAN DIEGO, Calif. – No. 4 BYU women's swept No. 5 Portland 4-0 on Thursday afternoon in the West Coast Conference quarterfinals to improve to 13-8 on the season.
With head coach Holly Hasler's first-ever WCC tournament win, the Cougars advance to the semifinal round of the WCC tournament where they will face top-seeded Pepperdine tomorrow.
- No. 47 Astle/Dunyon (BYU) UF. No. 83 Zelic/Pethybridge 5-6
- Huang/Li (BYU) def. Rouf/Dimitrijevic 6-1
- Jiao/Wheatley (BYU) def. Pearson/Rubio Perez 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 3
Huang and Li, at No. 2 doubles, jumped out to a 3-1 lead and eventually defeated Rouf and Dimitrijevic.
Jiao and Wheatley, at No. 3 doubles, led 3-1 and later took down Pearson and Rubio Perez, securing the doubles point for BYU.
No. 47 Astle and Dunyon, at No. 1 doubles, were tied with No. 83 Zelic and Pethybridge 4-4 and later trailed 5-6 before the match was left unfinished.
- Bobo Huang (BYU) UF. Iva Zelic 6-1, 3-4
- Emilee Astle (BYU) UF. Sally Pethrybridge 6-3, 3-4
- Tina Li (BYU) def. Rimona Rouf 6-1, 6-1
- Jacque Dunyon (BYU) def. Aleksandra Dimitrijevic 6-0, 6-0
- Helen Jiao (BYU) UF. Meagan Pearson 6-0, 5-2
- Emmie Moore (BYU) def. Alaia Rubio Perez 6-0, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 3, 6
Dunyon, at No. 4, jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first set and later led 5-0 before winning the set 6-0. In the second set, Dunyon quickly led 3-0 before going on to win the match in straight sets.
Li, at No. 3, led 3-0 and defeated Rouf in the first set 6-0. In the second set, Li jumped out to a 4-1 lead and eventually went on to win the match.
Moore, at No. 6, won her first set 6-0 before going on to win the second defeating Rubio Perez, clinching the overall match for the Cougars.
Huang, at No. 1, led 3-1 before winning the first set 6-1. In the second set, Huang trailed 3-4 before the match was left unfinished.
Astle, at No. 2, was tied with Pethybridge 2-2 before going on to win the first set 6-3. Astle trailed 3-4 in the second set before her match was left unfinished.
Jiao, at No. 5, quickly led 3-0 and eventually won the first set 6-0. Jiao led 5-2 in the second set before her match was left unfinished.
The Cougars return to action tomorrow for the West Coast Conference semifinals in San Diego, California, against no. 1 seed Pepperdine which will begin at 10:00 am PDT.
No. 4 Cougars to face No. 5 Pilots in opening round of WCC Tournament
SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO – The West Coast Conference has released the bracket and match times for the 2023 WCC Women's Tennis Tournament, scheduled for this Thursday-Saturday, April 27-29, in San Diego. BYU has qualified for the tournament as the No. 4 seed.
The Cougars will face fifth-seeded Portland on Thursday at 10:00 a.m. PDT. The Cougars won the teams’ regular season contest 7-0 on March 25 in Provo, Utah. The winner of Thursday’s opening round match will advance to Friday’s semifinal versus No. 1 Pepperdine, the tournament’s top seed.
A live stream and live stats for the whole tournament can be found here:
BYU finished 6-3 in conference play and will look to win its first-ever WCC Tournament in its final year in the conference.
The full schedule for the tournament and all other notable information for the matches this weekend can be found here.
The Aztec Tennis Center on the campus of San Diego State University will host the entire tournament. The men's tournament will also be held concurrently at the same venue.
- The Cougars are 12-8, with wins against Pacific and St. Mary's last week.
- Head coach Holly Hasler is 57-45 at BYU in her fifth season. She is assisted by Gabby Curtis, who is in her second season.
- Sophomore Success: Jacque Dunyon is 12-4 and Bobo Huang is 14-5 in singles play.
- Freshmen Sensations: Emmie Moore is 13-4 and Tina Li is 14-6 in singles play.
- The Cougars are in their final season in the WCC.
- The Pilots are 10-8 with a win over Gonzaga (5-2) last week.
- Head coach Filip Zivkovic is in his second season leading the women's tennis program.
- Portland finished the season 2-5 in WCC play.
- BYU-Portland Series Record: BYU leads 11-2
- Last Meeting: The Cougars won 7-0 on Mar. 25, 2023, in Provo. The full results to that match can be found here.