Mustang Tennis Complex
San Luis Obispo CA 93405
No. 54 Cougars dominate singles and defeat Mustangs 5-2
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – No. 54 BYU women's tennis defeated Cal Poly 5-2 on Saturday afternoon. With the win, the Cougars improved to 8-5 on the season, 4-4 on the road.
Freshman Tina Li continued her hot streak winning her 11th singles match of the season. Sophomore Bobo Huang won her ninth singles match of the year and her second on the road trip.
- D. Dunkle/P. Dunkle (Cal Poly) def. Astle/Moore 6-3
- Huang/Li (BYU) def. Bhunu/Buntrock 6-3
- LaMette/Ozerets (Cal Poly) def. Jiao/Wheatley 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
Astle and Moore, at No. 1 doubles, were defeated and fell as a tandem together in their first match as a doubles pairing this season.
Huang and Li, at No. 2 doubles, got their second doubles win of the road trip defeating Bhunu and Buntrock.
Jiao and Wheatley, at No. 3 doubles, were defeated by LaMette and Ozerets, securing the doubles point for the Mustangs.
- Bobo Huang (BYU) def. Kim Bhunu 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
- Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Melissa LaMette 6-1, 6-3
- Tina Li (BYU) def. Delanie Dunkle 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Peyton Dunkle (Cal Poly) def. Helen Jiao 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
- Emmie Moore (BYU) def. Alexandra Ozerets 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Kara Wheatley (BYU) def. Kennedy Buntrock 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3, 5, 6, 4
Astle, at No. 2, defeated LaMette in two sets, improving to 6-6 on the year in singles.
Huang, at No. 1, defeated Bhunu in three sets and gave the Cougars a 2-1 lead in the match.
Li, at No. 3, won in three sets over D. Dunkle, getting BYU within one more victory of clinching the match.
Moore, at No. 5, was victorious against Ozerets, improving her singles record to 9-1 on the season. The win for Moore also clinched the overall match for the Cougars.
Wheatley, at No. 6, got the victory over Buntrock for her third singles win of the season (3-4).
Jiao, at No. 4, fell in three sets to P. Dunkle for just her third singles loss of the season (3-3).
The Cougars return to action next week, Friday, Mar. 24 for a home conference match against Gonzaga on the indoor tennis courts. First serve is set for 12:00 p.m. MDT.
No. 54 BYU heads to California for three road matches
PROVO, Utah — No. 54 BYU women's tennis heads to California this week to face off against Fresno State Wednesday, Mar. 15, No. 65 Harvard on Friday, Mar. 17, and Cal Poly Saturday, Mar. 18. for three road matches.
- The Cougars are 7-3, with wins against Boise State and Utah last week.
- BYU is ranked No. 54 in the nation.
- Head coach Holly Hasler is 52-40 at BYU in her fifth season. She is assisted by Gabby Curtis, who is in her second season.
- Sophomore Success: Jacque Dunyon is 8-1 and Bobo Huang is 7-2 in singles play.
- Freshmen Sensations: Emmie Moore is 7-0 and Tina Li is 8-2 in singles play.
- The Cougars are in their final season in the WCC.
Fresno State Notes
- The Bulldogs are 5-6 with a loss against Saint Mary's (4-3) last week.
- Head coach Denise Dy is in her third season leading the women's tennis team.
- Dy is 40-15 overall at Fresno State.
No. 65 Harvard Notes
- Harvard is ranked No. 65 in the nation.
- The Crimson are 7-6 with a win against Rhode Island (5-0) and a loss against Denver (4-3) last week.
- Head coach Traci Green is in her 16th season.
Cal Poly Notes
- The Mustangs are 5-5 after a win against UC San Diego (5-2) last week.
- Head coach Ellie Edles Williams is in her first season.
- BYU-Fresno State Series Record: Fresno State leads 17-5
- Last Meeting: Fresno State won 4-3 on Feb. 11, 2022, in Provo
- BYU-Harvard Series Record: Harvard leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Harvard won 4-2 on Mar. 19, 2022, in Orlando
- BYU-Cal Poly Series Record: Series is tied 1-1
- Last Meeting: Cal Poly won 6-1 on Feb. 6. 2021 in San Luis Obispo