Mustang Tennis Complex
San Luis Obispo CA 93405
No. 54 BYU falls to No. 65 Harvard 5-2 in California
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. – No. 54 BYU women's tennis was defeated by No. 65 Harvard 5-2 on Friday afternoon. The Cougars fell to 7-5 on the season, 3-4 on the road.
- Arbitman/Daujotaite (Harvard) def. Astle/Dunyon 7-5
- Huang/Li (BYU) UF. Ho/Duncan 6-6
- You/Owensby (Harvard) def. Jiao/Wheatley 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3
Astle and Dunyon, at No. 1 doubles, were defeated for the first time as a tandem this season (1-1).
Jiao and Wheatley, at No. 3 doubles, fell to You and Owensby, which clinched the doubles point for Harvard.
Huang and Li, at No. 2 doubles, were tied 6-6 with Ho and Duncan before the match went unfinished.
- Bobo Huang (BYU) def. No. 82 Charlotte Owensby 6-0, 6-4
- Sophia Ho (Harvard) def. Emilee Astle 6-2, 5-7, 7-5
- Tina Li (BYU) def. Angel You 6-2, 6-1
- Sany Gawande (Harvard) def. Emmie Moore 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
- Mihaela Marculescu (Harvard) def. Helen Jiao 6-3, 6-4
- Iveta Daujotaite (Harvard) def. Kara Wheatley 6-1. 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 6, 5, 4, 2
Li, at No. 3, won her tenth match of the year in two sets improving to 10-2 on the year.
Huang, at No. 1, defeated Owensby in two sets for her first-ranked singles win of the year and giving the Cougars a 2-1 lead in the match.
Wheatley, at No. 6, was defeated by Daujotaite in two sets for her fourth loss in singles on the year (2-4).
Jiao, at No. 5, fell in two sets to Marculescu for just her second singles loss of the season (3-2).
Moore, at No. 4, was defeated for the first time this season and fell to 8-1 in singles. Gawande's victory over Moore clinched the match for Harvard.
Astle, at No. 2, was defeated in three sets by Ho, falling to 5-6 on the year in singles.
The Cougars return to action tomorrow, Mar. 18 against Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, Calif.. First serve is set for 11:00 p.m. PDT.
No. 54 BYU heads to California for three road matches
PROVO, Utah — No. 54 BYU women's tennis heads to California this week to face off against Fresno State Wednesday, Mar. 15, No. 65 Harvard on Friday, Mar. 17, and Cal Poly Saturday, Mar. 18. for three road matches.
- The Cougars are 7-3, with wins against Boise State and Utah last week.
- BYU is ranked No. 54 in the nation.
- Head coach Holly Hasler is 52-40 at BYU in her fifth season. She is assisted by Gabby Curtis, who is in her second season.
- Sophomore Success: Jacque Dunyon is 8-1 and Bobo Huang is 7-2 in singles play.
- Freshmen Sensations: Emmie Moore is 7-0 and Tina Li is 8-2 in singles play.
- The Cougars are in their final season in the WCC.
Fresno State Notes
- The Bulldogs are 5-6 with a loss against Saint Mary's (4-3) last week.
- Head coach Denise Dy is in her third season leading the women's tennis team.
- Dy is 40-15 overall at Fresno State.
No. 65 Harvard Notes
- Harvard is ranked No. 65 in the nation.
- The Crimson are 7-6 with a win against Rhode Island (5-0) and a loss against Denver (4-3) last week.
- Head coach Traci Green is in her 16th season.
Cal Poly Notes
- The Mustangs are 5-5 after a win against UC San Diego (5-2) last week.
- Head coach Ellie Edles Williams is in her first season.
- BYU-Fresno State Series Record: Fresno State leads 17-5
- Last Meeting: Fresno State won 4-3 on Feb. 11, 2022, in Provo
- BYU-Harvard Series Record: Harvard leads 3-0
- Last Meeting: Harvard won 4-2 on Mar. 19, 2022, in Orlando
- BYU-Cal Poly Series Record: Series is tied 1-1
- Last Meeting: Cal Poly won 6-1 on Feb. 6. 2021 in San Luis Obispo