Goldman Tennis Center
Nancy Pelosi Dr &, 50 Bowling Green Dr San Francisco CA 94122
BYU Defeats San Francisco 5-2 For First WCC Win
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif – BYU women's tennis defeated San Francisco 5-2 on Friday afternoon for its first WCC victory on the road. The Cougars improved to 4-3 on the season and 1-1 in conference play.
- Astle/Huang (BYU) def. Vaquero/Chhabra 6-2
- Moore/Li (BYU) UF. Gamracy/Courtney 5-2
- Jiao/Wheatley (BYU) def. Mushika/Capogrosso 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 1
Jiao and Wheatley, at no. 3 doubles, secured the victory as Jiao is now 2-0 in doubles matches on the year while Wheatley gained her fifth win (5-2).
Astle and Huang, at no. 1 doubles, obtained their fifth doubles win of the year. The win clinched the Cougars the doubles point, while the tandem is now 5-2 on the season.
Li and Moore, at no. 2 doubles, were leading 5-2 before the match was brought to a halt due to BYU already clinching the doubles point.
- Maira Vaquero (USF) def. Bobo Huang 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
- Chiho Mushika (USF) def. Emilee Astle 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
- Jacque Dunyon (BYU) def. Hana Gamracy 6-4, 6-4
- Tina Li (BYU) def. Caragh Courtney 6-2, 6-0
- Emmie Moore (BYU) def. Arianna Capogrosso 6-7 (7-9), 6-3, 10-1
- Kara Wheatley (BYU) def. Azaria Hayes 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5
Li, at no. 4, secured her fifth doubles win of the year. The freshman is now 5-2 on the season.
Dunyon, at no. 3, clinched her fifth singles win and is 6-1 on the year.
Astle, at no. 2, was defeated and fell to 3-4 on the season.
Huang, at no. 1, was defeated in what was just her second singles loss of the year (5-2).
Wheatley at no. 5, clinched her third singles win of the year (3-2) and secured the overall match victory for the Cougars.
Moore, at no. 5, earned her sixth victory of the season and is undefeated on the year. The freshman has yet to lose a singles dual match.
The Cougars return to action tomorrow, Saturday, Mar. 4 against Santa Clara. The road match will begin at 10:00 a.m. PST.
BYU to visit Bay Area for matchups against San Francisco and Santa Clara
PROVO, Utah — BYU women's tennis will head to the Bay Area this weekend to visit San Francisco on Friday, Mar. 3, and Santa Clara Saturday on Mar. 4. for two road matches.
- The Cougars are 3-3, with losses against Colorado and Colorado State two weeks ago.
- Head coach Holly Hasler is 48-40 at BYU in her fifth season. She is assisted by Gabby Curtis, who is in her second season.
- BYU is in its final season in the WCC.
San Francisco Notes
- San Francisco is 4-3 with a win against UC Davis (4-3) last week.
- Head coach Peter Bartlett is in his sixth season as head coach for the women's tennis team.
- Bartlett is 43-54 overall at San Francisco.
Santa Clara Notes
- Santa Clara is 0-5 with a loss against Grand Canyon (4-0) two weeks ago.
- Head Coach Clifton Awuy is 0-5 overall at Santa Clara in his first season.
- BYU-San Francisco Series Record: BYU leads 9-4
- Last Meeting: San Francisco won 4-3 on Apr. 28, 2022, in the WCC Tournament
- BYU-SCU Series Record: Santa Clara leads 6-4
- Last Meeting: BYU won 6-1 on Apr. 9, 2022, in Provo