Indoor Tennis Courts
150 E. Provo UT 84602
BYU Defeats Utah State 7-0 at Home
PROVO, Utah – BYU women's tennis defeated Utah State 7-0 at home on Saturday. The Cougars swept the singles matches and only lost one doubles match during the afternoon competition.
- Astle/Huang (BYU) def. Burton/Ozturk 6-4
- Lavatai/Kung (USU) def. Li/Moore 7-5
- Dunyon/Jiao (BYU) def. Hilario/County 6-1
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
Dunyon and Jiao, at no. 3 doubles, jumped out to an early 2-0 lead and never looked back winning 6-1 over Hilario and County.
Astle and Huang, at no. 1 doubles, fell down early to Burton and Ozturk 2-1, but fought back and led 4-2. The tandem went on to win the match 6-4, securing the doubles point for BYU.
Li and Moore, at no. 2 doubles, were tied with Lavatai and Kung 2-2, but later fell 7-5. This was Li and Moore’s first double’s loss of the season.
- Bobo Huang (BYU) def. Zynep Ozturk 6-2, 6-2
- Emilee Astle (BYU) def. Lisa Kung 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
- Jacque Dunyon (BYU) def. Laura de Hilario 6-2, 6-2,
- Tina Li (BYU) def. Hilario 6-0, 6-2
- Emmie Moore (BYU) def. Maggie Pureco 6-2, 6-2
- Xenia de Luna (BYU) def. Indya Nespor 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
Order of finish: 3, 4, 1, 2, 5, 6
Dunyon, at no. 3, led 4-1 in the first set and secured the victory 6-2. In the second set, Dunyon jumped out to an early 4-2 lead and later won the match 6-2.
Li, at no. 4, took a commanding 4-0 lead in the first set and cruised to victory 6-0. In the second set, Li led 4-2 and later clinched the match winning 6-2.
Huang, at no. 1, led early 4-1 and won the first set 6-2. In set number two, Huang led 3-1 and went on to win 6-2 securing the match and the overall victory for the Cougars.
Astle, at no. 2, trailed Kung early 3-1 but evened the score at 3-3. Through back and forth play, Astle was able to win the set 7-5. In the second set, Astle and Kung were deadlocked at 5-5 before playing in a second set tiebreaker in which Astle won 7-6 (7-4) securing the match victory.
Moore, at no. 5, led 3-0 early and won the first set 6-2. In the second set, Moore defeated Pureco 6-2, winning the match.
De Luna, at no. 6, led Nespor 2-1 in the first set and secured the victory 6-3. In the second set, the two were tied 6-6 forcing a tiebreaker in which de Luna came out on top 7-6 (7-4).
The Cougars return to action next week on Friday, Feb. 12 against Colorado. The road match will begin at 6:00 p.m. MST.
Cougars to Host Lions and Aggies
PROVO, Utah – BYU women's tennis is set to host LMU for its conference opener on Friday, Feb. 10, and Utah State on Saturday, Feb. 11 at 12:00 p.m. MST on the Indoor Tennis Courts.
- The Cougars are 2-0 with a win over Washington State last week.
- Head coach Holly Hasler is 47-37 at BYU in her fifth season. She is assisted by Gabby Curtis, who is in her second season.
- BYU is in its final season in the WCC.
- LMU is 1-4 with a win against Fresno State (4-0) in its last matchup.
- Head coach Agustin Moreno is 74-48 overall at LMU in his seventh season.
Utah State Notes
- Utah State is 2-2 with a win against Utah Tech (7-0) and a loss against Idaho State (1-6) last week.
- Head Coach Sean Mcinerney is 96-100 overall at USU in his 10th season.
- BYU-LMU Series Record: LMU leads 6-4
- Last Meeting: LMU won 4-1 on Apr. 15, 2022, in Los Angeles
- BYU-USU Series Record: BYU leads 13-1
- Last Meeting: BYU won 5-2 on Mar. 4, 2022, in Logan