Skip & Cindy Hogan Tennis Center
5998 AlcalÃ¡ Park San Diego CA 92110
SAN DIEGO – The BYU women's tennis team suffered a 4-0 loss against San Diego on Wednesday, March 15, at the Skip & Cindy Hogan Tennis Center in San Diego.
In the first match of West Coast Conference play, BYU (3-8, 0-1 WCC) got off to a slow start in doubles. San Diego (4-7, 1-0 WCC) scored the first point of the match after winning 6-2 on court one and 6-2 at No. 3 doubles.
The Toreros continued the momentum into singles, with Chow first off the courts after a winning in straight sets against BYU senior Demi Perkinson at sixth singles. San Diego extended the lead to 3-0 after DeFilippo defeated the Cougars' Samantha Smith 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 singles. The Toreros clinched the match after Maria-Paula Torres defeated Taylah Beckman 6-2, 6-4 on court five and San Diego completed the 4-0 victory.
BYU returns home to host Utah State on Friday, March 24, at noon MDT at the BYU tennis courts. Admission is free and free pizza will be served.
San Diego 4, BYU 0
1. Nicole Anderson (USD) vs. Savannah Ware-Avina (BYU) 4-6, 5-3, unf.
2. Daniela Morales (USD) vs. Natella Nabieva (BYU) 7-6, 2-1 unf.
3. Gemma Garcia (USD) vs. Kate Cusick (BYU) 1-6, 6-3, 1-3 unf.
4. Colomba DiFilippo (USD) def. Samantha Smith (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Maria-Paula Torres (USD) def. Taylah Beckman (BYU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Siohua Chow (USD) def. Demi Perkinson (BYU) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,4,5)