No. 13 Cougars start conference play at home
PROVO, Utah – No. 13 BYU women’s volleyball begins West Coast Conference play this week, competing at home against Santa Clara and San Francisco.
Last Time Out
Last week, BYU (11-1) fell at home in a five-set heartbreaker to rival Utah before capping off the weekend with wins against CSUN and previously undefeated UNLV. Amy Boswell was named the Most Valuable Player of the UVU/BYU Challenge and was added to the all-tournament team along with McKenna Miller and Whitney Young Howard.
- The Cougars will compete against the Broncos (9-3) Thursday, Sept. 22, at 7 p.m. MDT at the Smith Fieldhouse.
- BYU leads Santa Clara in the overall series history 7-4 and won the last matchup in four sets last season. The Cougars have split the regular-season series in each of the past four years, with the host team winning on its home court.
- The Broncos were ranked No. 17 in the AVCA Coaches’ Poll last week before losing their starting setter to injury. Santa Clara lost its three matches this week (Arizona State, Boise State, UC Davis) and is no longer ranked.
- The Broncos finished 22-9, 13-5 (t-3rd) WCC a season ago and competed in the 2015 NCAA Tournament.
- The Cougars will finish out the week playing against the Dons (4-9) of San Francisco Saturday, Sept. 24, at 1 p.m. MDT at the Smith Fieldhouse.
- BYU holds a perfect 12-0 record against San Francisco all-time, including a 3-0 sweep in the last meeting a year ago.
- The Dons lost a trio of matches last week against UC Irvine, UC Riverside and Northern Arizona and are on a four-match losing streak.
- San Francisco finished 17-14, 4-14 (9th) WCC in 2015.
Additional Match Info
There will be free T-shirts provided for the first 400 fans at the Santa Clara match. Against San Francisco, fans will receive free admission with their Pass of All Passes card. Additionally, the team will stay to sign autographs with free posters at the conclusion of Saturday’s match.
The match against the Broncos will be broadcast live nationally on BYUtv and simulcast on BYU Radio – Sirius XM 143. Saturday’s match against the Dons will be streamed live on TheW.tv. Links to live stats for both matches can be found on the BYU women’s volleyball schedule page.
BYU women’s volleyball season tickets for the upcoming 2023 campaign will go on sale beginning Wednesday, July 26.