Cross Country set to compete at Run Elite Cross Classic
PROVO, Utah – No. 4/7 BYU men’s and women’s cross country will compete in the Run Elite Program Cross Classic at Valley Regional Park on Friday, Sept. 9.
- Host: Run Elite Program
- Location: Valley Regional Park | Taylorsville, Utah
- Women’s race (5k): 6:45 p.m. MDT
- Men’s race (7.5k): 7:15 p.m. MDT
- Admission: Entrance is $4.00
- Parking is available at the venue as shown on the course map. Buses drop off athletes at the team tent field as indicated, then proceed to the lower bus parking lot.
- This marks the first Run Elite Program Cross Classic. The Run Elite Program was founded in part by former BYU and two-time All-American distance runner Jared Ward. The meet takes the place of the BYU Autumn Classic, canceled this year due to construction at the Timpanogos Golf Course.
No. 4 BYU men’s cross country began the season last week with a 19-point win at the UVU Invitational in Orem, Utah on Sept. 1 despite the absence of All-Americans Casey Clinger and Christian Allen. The team had five of the top-six finishers led by Joey Nokes and Kenneth Rooks.
Justin Hartshorn, Zach Erikson and Brandon Garnica each finished in fourth, fifth and sixth, respectively.
The men enter Friday’s meet having won five of their last seven meets. Clinger headlines the Cougars’ 2022 team as a three-time All-American, concluding the 2021 season with his highest finish at the NCAA Championships by placing eighth.
No. 7 BYU women’s cross country is fresh off a second-place finish at the UVU Invitational last week despite withholding preseason all-conference honorees Aubrey Frentheway, McKenna Lee-Hansen and Lexy Halladay-Lowry. Several younger runners took advantage of the opportunity to compete.
Rachel Morrin finished first among her BYU teammates at 12th. True freshman Avery Moore crossed next at 15th in her first race for the Cougars while Alissa Fielding rounded out BYU’s top-20 finishers on Thursday with a 17th-place finish.
Following the Run Elite Program Cross Classic, the Cougars will race at the Cowboy Jamboree at Oklahoma State on Sept. 24, the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational on Oct. 14 and the WCC Championships on Oct. 28.
BYU women’s cross country runner Aubrey Frentheway was honored for the third consecutive season as a USTFCCCA All-…