Cougars start eight-match road trip at Boise State Saturday
BOISE, Idaho – BYU men’s tennis visits Boise State on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 12:00 p.m. for the first of eight-straight road matches.
The Cougars (3-3, 1-0 WCC) are coming off a pair of sweeps last weekend. Saturday’s match versus the Broncos is just the second road contest of the season for the team and the first outside of Utah.
Attendance at BSU’s Boas Indoor Tennis Center is free. Live scores can be viewed HERE.
- Junior Dominik Jakovljevic was named WCC Singles Player of the Week Tuesday after his 2-0 performance versus Weber State and Saint Mary’s last week.
- The WCC Doubles Team of the Week was also in Provo over the weekend, with junior Jack Barnett and senior Mateo Vereau receiving the award with a 2-0 record of their own.
- The Cougars have already shown their depth this season, using four different lineups in their six matches.
Boise State Notes
- The Broncos are 4-2 this season, including 3-0 at home. They defeated Idaho State 5-2 on Jan. 28, with BYU previously beating the Bengals 6-1 on Jan. 20. Boise State also has a 4-3 win over Cal Poly on Feb. 19, a team BYU lost to by the same score on Feb. 3.
- Head coach Luke Shields is in his first season with his alma mater. He is the program’s career wins leader.
- Eight of the 11 Broncos are upperclassmen. Junior Sam Sippel leads the way at No. 1 singles. He is in his first season after transferring from Azusa Pacific, where he was a singles All-American and two-time academic All-American.
- Series Record: BYU leads 25-15
- Last Meeting: Boise State won 4-3 on Feb. 11, 2022, in Provo
Wally Thayne has been named No. 12 in the Mountain Regional singles rankings for his 2022-23 season performance, the…