Two first place finishes for BYU relay teams at MPSF
San Luis Obispo, Calif. — After two days of the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation championship, the BYU men rank first with 302.5 points and the BYU women are ranked second with 273 points.
On the first day of competition, a team of Katie McBratney, Gwen Gustafson, Chloe Freeman and Brynn Sproul swam to a first-place finish in the women's 800-yard freestyle relay with a time of 7:22.29, while the men also received a first-place title in the 200 yard medley relay thanks to Payton Plumb, Josue Dominguez, Javier Nicolas and Connor Stirling.
Thursday, a team of Roger Woods, Dominguez, Brigham Harrison, Stirling grabbed a first-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Meanwhile, out of 33 swimmers, Gustafson earned first place in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 22.68 seconds.
W 200 Yard Medley Relay
- Brynn Sproul, Katie McBratney, Charlotte Fieeiki, Gwen Gustafson - (1.39.03) - 2nd
W 800 Yard Freestyle Relay
- Katie McBratney, Gwen Gustafson, Chloe Freeman, Brynn Sproul - (7:22.29) - 1st
M 200 Yard Medley Relay
- Payton Plumb, Josue Dominguez, Javier Nicolas, Connor Stirling - (1:26.83) - 1st
M 800 Yard Freestyle Relay
- Javier Nicolas, Payton Plumb, Tama Tuitama, Jacob Rees - (6:29.54) - 2nd
- Katie McBratney
- 200 yard individual medley - (1:58.83) - 1st - Second fastest in BYU history
- Gwen Gustafson
- 50 yard freestyle - (22.68) - 1st
- Brynn Sproul
- 500 yard freestyle - (4:56.19) - 3rd
- W 200 Yard Freestyle Relay
- Rachel Oyler, Charlotte Fieeiki, Emma Colvin, Gwen Gustafson - (1:32.48) - 2nd
- M 200 Yard Freestyle Relay
- Roger Woods, Josue Dominguez, Brigham Harrison, Connor Stirling - (1:19.17) - 1st
- M 200 Yard IM
- Javier Nicolas - (1:45.35) - 1st - Second fastest in BYU history
- Tama Tuitama - (1:46.72) - 2nd
- Tyler Edlefsen - (1:46.98) - 4th
- Brad Prolo - (1:47.72) - 5th
Still to go is the 100 butterfly, 400 IM, 200 freestyle, 100 breaststroke, 100 backstroke and 400 medley relay on Friday for both the men and women. Friday's events will begin at 10 a.m. PST.