No. 13 BYU plays last home game of the season against the Broncos
PROVO, Utah — BYU women's soccer prepares to compete in its final home game of the 2022 season against the Santa Clara Broncos on Saturday night.
Saturday’s matchup has been scheduled for 6 p.m. MDT. The game will be carried live on BYURadio.org, the BYU Radio app and BYU Radio 107.9 FM. The game will also be streamed on BYUtv and the BYUtv app.
LAST TIME ON THE FIELD. BYU last competed on South Field on Saturday evening for a rainy showdown with the Gonzaga Bulldogs. Forward Bella Folino grabbed the first goal of the match in the 48th minute with a header off a Brecken Mozingo corner kick. The Bulldogs answered back with an equalizer in the following minute, bringing the game to 1-1. In the 67th minute, defender Daviana Vaka sent a cross that was dummied by Folino, allowing freshman forward Allie Fryer to find the back of the net for the game-winning goal.
BYU NOTES (8-2-5, 4-0-2)
- BYU is currently ranked No. 13 nationally in the latest United Soccer Coaches Top 25
- The Cougars lead the WCC in shots (384), points (109), goals (37) and assists (35)
- Mozingo leads BYU in goals (9), assists (8) and points (26)
- Fryer has scored three game-winning goals in the last five games as a true freshman
- BYU and Santa Clara last competed in the semifinals of the 2021 NCAA College Cup, where the Cougars advanced after PK’s
Head Coach — Jennifer Rockwood
- Record at BYU: 432-125-52
- 28th season as head coach of BYU
- Seventh in NCAA Division I in active career winning percentage (.754)
SANTA CLARA NOTES (9-6-1, 6-0)
- Santa Clara is currently ranked No. 1 in the WCC
- The Broncos have not lost a game in conference play
- Santa Clara last played Portland on Saturday, Oct. 22 and won 4-0
- Izzy D’Aquila leads the team and the WCC in goals (17) and points (39)
Head Coach — Jerry Smith
- Record as head coach at Santa Clara: 532-173-67
- 36th season as head coach at Santa Clara
- During his tenure at Santa Clara, Smith has become the most winningest coach in school history, ranked top-5 in NCAA Division I history
- Since taking over in 1987, the Broncos have been to 31 NCAA Tournaments, 12 College Cups and brought home the 2001 and 2020 National Championships
COUGARS VS. BRONCOS. The Cougars and the Broncos have played 17 times previously in the regular season, with Santa Clara leading the series 3-9-5. The last time the two teams met was December 3, 2021 in the NCAA College Cup semifinals. The teams ended the game in a 0-0 draw after double overtime, forcing penalty kicks. The Cougars advanced on PK’s, sending them to their first ever College Cup finals appearance in program history.
- Saturday, Oct. 29, at 6 p.m. MDT on South Field
- Radio: BYURadio.org/BYU Radio app/BYU Radio 107.9 FM
- Radio play-by-play: Greg Wrubell
- BYUtv and BYUtv app: Carla Swensen, Spencer Linton
The Cougars took the field for the first time of the 2023 season Saturday night for the annual Blue vs White game.…