No. 19 BYU set to play Zags on South Field
PROVO, Utah — The Cougars return to South Field to take on the Gonzaga Bulldogs on Saturday evening.
Saturday’s matchup has been scheduled for 7 p.m. MDT. The game will be carried live on BYURadio.org, the BYU Radio app and BYU Radio 107.9 FM. The game will also be streamed on BYUtv and the BYUtv App.
LAST TIME ON THE FIELD. BYU last competed in Malibu, Calif. on Wednesday afternoon for a matinee showdown with the Pepperdine Waves. Defender Olivia Smith scored the first goal of the game, her first on the season, to get the ball rolling for the Cougars. With a goal by Jamie Shepherd and a brace by freshman Allie Fryer, BYU tallied four goals to Pepperdine’s three to secure the victory.
BYU NOTES (7-2-5, 3-0-2)
- BYU is currently ranked No. 19 nationally in the latest United Soccer Coaches Top 25
- BYU currently leads the WCC in shots (363), points (102), goals (35) and assists (22)
- Mozingo leads the Cougars in goals (9), assists (8) and points (26)
- Allie Fryer is the fourth player this season to tally a multi-goal game
- BYU has never lost to Gonzaga, leading the series 14-0-0
Head Coach - Jennifer Rockwood
- Record at BYU: 431-125-52
- 28th season as head coach of BYU
- Seventh in NCAA Division I in active career winning percentage (.754)
GONZAGA NOTES (8-2-4, 3-0-2)
- Gonzaga is currently ranked third in the WCC
- The Zags last played LMU on Wednesday, Oct. 19 and won 3-0
- Erin Healy leads the Bulldogs in goals (6) and points (16)
- Gonzaga has not lost a game since they played Texas on Sept. 4, 2022
Head Coach - Chris Watkins
- Record as Head Coach at Gonzaga: 62-28-11
- Sixth season as head coach at Gonzaga
- Prior to his time at Gonzaga, Watkins was a member of the BYU coaching staff from 1996-2016
- During his time with BYU, the Cougars won 13 conference championships, made the NCAA Tournament 18 times and had seven All-Americans
COUGARS VS BULLDOGS. The Cougars and the Bulldogs have played 14 times previously with BYU leading the series 14-0-0. The last time the two teams met was Oct. 2, 2021 when the Cougars beat the Zags 6-1 on Luger Field. A brace by Mozingo, and goals by Rachel McCarthy, Mikayla Colohan, Bella Folino and Cameron Tucker secured the victory for BYU.
- Saturday, Oct. 22, at 7 p.m. MDT on South Field
- Radio: BYURadio.org/BYU Radio App/BYU Radio 107.9 FM
- Radio play-by-play: Jason Shepherd
- BYUtv and BYUtv App: Carla Swensen, Jarom Jordan
The Cougars took the field for the first time of the 2023 season Saturday night for the annual Blue vs White game.…