Cougars prepare to face Waves in Malibu
PROVO, Utah — BYU women's soccer travels to Malibu, Calif. to compete against the Pepperdine Waves on Wednesday afternoon.
Wednesday’s matchup has been scheduled for 3 p.m. PDT. The game will be carried live on BYURadio.org, the BYU Radio app and BYU Radio 107.9 FM. The game will also be streamed on the WCC Network.
LAST TIME ON THE FIELD. BYU last competed on South Field Saturday night and beat No. 14 Portland, 4-1. A goal by Olivia Wade in the 13th minute opened the night for BYU. Junior captain Jamie Shepherd then secured a goal in the 33rd minute, giving the Cougars a 2-0 lead going into half. Forward standout Brecken Mozingo notched a brace on the night with goals in the 67th and 76th minutes. The Pilots capitalized off a corner kick in the 70th minute for their only goal of the night, giving BYU the 4-1 victory.
BYU NOTES (6-2-5, 2-0-2)
- BYU is currently ranked No. 19 in RPI under head coach Jennifer Rockwood
- The Cougars currently lead the WCC in shots (340), points (91), goals (31) and assists (29)
- Mozingo leads the team in goals (9), assists (8) and points (26)
- BYU has won its last three meetings with the Waves
- The Cougars’ last loss to Pepperdine was in 2018 at Tari Frahm Rokus Field
Head Coach - Jennifer Rockwood
- Record at BYU: 430-125-52
- 28th season as head coach of BYU
- Seventh in NCAA Division I in active career winning percentage (.754)
PEPPERDINE NOTES (7-2-4, 1-1-2)
- Pepperdine is currently ranked No. 5 in the WCC
- The Waves last played against San Francisco on Saturday, Oct. 15 and tied 1-1
- Tatum Wynalda leads the team in goals, with six
- Carlee Giammona leads the Waves in points (13) and shots (51), and has tallied five goals and three assists on the season
Head Coach - Tim Ward
- Record as Head Coach at Portland: 286-140-65
- 25th season as head coach at Pepperdine
- Ward has led his team to 20 winning seasons and four Sweet 16 appearances in the NCAA Tournament
COUGARS VS. WAVES. The Cougars and the Waves have played 13 times previously with BYU leading the series 7-6. The last time the two teams met was Nov. 6, 2021 when the Cougars beat the Waves 1-0 in double overtime to end their 2021 regular season. A free kick in the 104th minute led to a goal by former BYU forward Cameron Tucker, securing a share of the 2021 WCC title for BYU.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19, at 3 p.m. PDT at Tari Frahm Rokus Field
- Radio: BYURadio.org/BYU Radio App/BYU Radio 107.9 FM
- Radio play-by-play: Greg Wrubell
BYU women’s soccer head coach Jennifer Rockwood has announced the promotion of Brent Anderson to associate head coach.