Cougars set to play Portland amongst homecoming celebrations
PROVO, Utah — The Cougars return to South Field to compete against No. 14 Portland on Saturday evening to close-out BYU Homecoming Week.
Saturday’s matchup has been scheduled for 7 p.m. MDT. The game will be carried live on BYURadio.org, the BYU Radio app and BYU Radio 107.9 FM. The game will also be streamed on the BYUtv App.
LAST TIME ON THE FIELD. BYU last competed in Stockton, Calif. against the Pacific Tigers and tied 1-1. A goal from Olivia Wade in the 14th minute put the Cougars up early in the match. The equalizer came from the Tigers in the 75th minute with a goal from 28-yards out. Despite a final push by BYU and a curved shot by Brecken Mozingo just hitting the post, the Cougars ended their trip with a 1-1 draw.
BYU NOTES (5-2-5, 1-0-2)
- BYU is currently ranked No. 26 in the NCAA RPI under head coach Jennifer Rockwood
- Now three games into the conference schedule, BYU is now 5-2-5 on the season, and 1-0-2 in the WCC
- Mozingo leads the Cougars in goals (7), assists (7) and points (21)
- BYU has won 11-straight games against the Portland Pilots
- BYU has not lost to Portland since 2006
- BYU had its most shots (38) this season in its game against Pacific
Head Coach - Jennifer Rockwood
- Record at BYU: 428-125-52
- 28th season as head coach of BYU
- Seventh in NCAA Division I in active career winning percentage (.754)
PORTLAND NOTES (9-0-4, 3-0)
- Portland is currently ranked No. 14 nationally and No. 1 in the WCC
- The Pilots last played No. 22 Pepperdine on Saturday, Oct. 8 and won 2-0
- Portland goalkeeper, Bre Norris is first in the WCC and the nation in save percentage at .940
Head Coach - Michelle French
- Record as Head Coach at Portland: 38-27-12
- Fifth season as head coach at Portland
- Before her time with the Pilots, French also served on the USA Women’s National Team staff at both the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup and the 2016 Olympics and became a full-time assistant earlier this year.
COUGARS VS PILOTS. The Cougars and the Pilots have played 16 times previously with BYU leading the series 12-4. The last time the two teams met was Nov. 3, 2021 when the Cougars beat the Pilots 3-0 on Merlo Field. BYU has won the last thirteen games played against Portland. Current BYU forward Bella Folino notched a brace on the night, while forward Rachel McCarthy knocked in the other goal against the Portland Pilots in 2021.
- Saturday, Oct. 15, at 7 p.m. MDT at South Field
- Radio: BYURadio.org/BYU Radio App/BYU Radio 107.9 FM
- Radio play-by-play: Jason Shepherd
- TV: BYUtv App
- TV Talent: Spencer Linton and Carla Swensen
BYU women’s soccer head coach Jennifer Rockwood has announced the promotion of Brent Anderson to associate head coach.