Cougars host first home WCC match against Dons
PROVO, Utah — The Cougars prepare to host the San Francisco Dons for their first home conference match on Wednesday evening.
Wednesday’s matchup has been scheduled for 7 p.m. MDT. The game against the Dons will be a Pink Out game in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The game will be carried live on BYURadio.org, the BYU Radio app and BYU Radio 107.9 FM. It will also be streamed on BYUtv and the BYUtv app.
LAST TIME ON THE FIELD. BYU last traveled to Moraga, Calif. to play the Saint Mary’s Gaels on Saturday, Oct. 1. The hard-fought battle ended in a draw despite BYU’s offensive advantage of six corner kicks and 13 shots compared to only six shots by the Gaels. Brecken Mozingo tallied the most shots during the match with four, and Olivia Wade followed close behind with three.
BYU NOTES (4-2-4, 0-0-1 WCC)
- BYU is currently ranked No. 29 in the NCAA RPI under head coach Jennifer Rockwood
- At the start of the conference schedule, BYU is now 4-2-4 on the season
- Mozingo leads the Cougars in goals (6), assists (6) and points (18)
- BYU has never lost a home game to the San Francisco Dons
Head Coach - Jennifer Rockwood
- Record at BYU: 428-125-51
- 28th season as head coach of BYU
- Seventh in NCAA Division I in active career winning percentage (.754)
THE DONS (5-3-3, 0-1 WCC)
- San Francisco is currently ranked No. 8 in the West Coast Conference (WCC)
- The Dons started their conference schedule with a game against Gonzaga on Saturday, Oct. 1, losing 4-0
- Marissa Vasquez leads the Dons in points (12) and goals (6) this season
Head Coach - Jim Millinder
- Record at San Francisco: 85-85-63
- 12th season as head coach of San Francisco
- 28th season as a collegiate head coach, with previous stops at El Camino College, Loyola Marymount and USC
COUGARS VS. DONS. The Cougars and Dons have played 12 times previously with BYU leading the series 10-2-0. The last time the two teams met was Oct. 20, 2021, when the Cougars beat the Gaels 3-1 in San Francisco. A goal in the fourth minute of the match by Bella Folino, followed by goals from former BYU stars Cameron Tucker and Mikayla Colohan edged out the Dons in 2021.
- Wednesday, Oct. 5, at 7 p.m. MDT at South Field
- Radio: BYURadio.org/BYU Radio App/BYU Radio 107.9 FM
- Radio play-by-play: Greg Wrubell
- BYUtv and BYUtv App
- TV talent: Jarom Jordan, Carla Swensen, Jason Shepherd
BYU women’s soccer head coach Jennifer Rockwood has announced the promotion of Brent Anderson to associate head coach.