No. 1 UCLA battle Cougars on Friday
PROVO, Utah — The BYU women's soccer team hosts No. 1 UCLA this Friday at South Field.
The Cougars tied Cal State Fullerton 1-1 last Friday at South Field. Senior forward Avery Walker scored BYU's lone goal in the 26th minute to put the Cougars ahead before Fullerton quickly answered with a goal of their own. Sophomore Elise Flake recorded the assist on the goal. Goalkeeper Hannah Clark recorded five saves and Lizzy Braby led all shooters with three shot attempts, including one on goal.
After dropping out of the polls this week, BYU continues to look for their first win of the 2017 season.
The Bruins clinched the No. 1 spot in the NSCAA Coaches poll this week after beating Santa Clara 4-2 and UC Santa Barbara 3-1. Seven players have managed to find the back of the net to combine for the Bruins' 17 goals. Juniors Hailie Mace and Julia Hernandez have four goals apiece.
UCLA has scored three or more goals in all four of its games so far in the 2017 season but has not earned a shutout.
- Friday, September 1 at 7:00 p.m. MDT, at South Field
- TV: BYUtv
- TV Talent: Spencer Linton (play-by-play), Natalyn Lewis (analyst), Lauren Francom McClain (sideline)
- Radio: BYU Radio (Sirius XM 143) and ESPN 960 AM
- Radio Talent: Jason Shepherd (play-by-play) and Paige Barker (analyst)
- The first 1,500 fans will get a free t-shirt and the first 1,500 students with their ROC pass will get a free freezer pop
The series is tied 2-2. The Cougars fell to the Bruins in penalty kicks in the 2010 College Cup.
The Cougars took the field for the first time of the 2023 season Saturday night for the annual Blue vs White game.…