Two more on the road
After the 58-57 victory over Dartmouth, the Cougar women’s basketball team (2-0) continues its road swing through the Northeast. They are at Boston College (1-1) Thursday at 7 p.m. ET and at Harvard (1-1) on Friday in a 5 p.m. ET tip off. Both games can be heard live on BYU Radio.
In the Dartmouth victory, sophomore Lexi Eaton led all scorers with 19 points. Morgan Bailey and Kim Parker Beeston also recorded double digits in points with 12 and 11 respectively. Bailey grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds for her first career double double. Haley Steed led the team in total assists and steals with six and four respectively. Both were also game highs.
• Head coach: Jeff Judkins, enters his 12th season
• Team’s leading scorer: #21 Lexi Eaton, 21.5 ppg
• Team’s leading rebounder: #41 Morgan Bailey, 8.5 rpg
• Team’s assist leader: #33 Haley Steed, 7.5 apg
• Team’s steals leader: #33 Steed, 2.5 spg
BYU’S PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP
#33 Haley Steed – (5-4 guard, GS) 6.0 ppg; 1.0 rpg; 9.0 apg
#4 Kim Parker Beeston – (5-11 guard, JR) 13.0 ppg; 7.0 rpg; 2.0 apg
#21 Lexi Eaton – (5-10 guard, SO) 24.0 ppg; 3.0 rpg; 4.0 apg
#41 Morgan Bailey – (6-2 forward, SO) 11.5 ppg; 8.5 rpg
#45 Keilani Unga – (6-2 forward, SR) 9.0 ppg; 2.0 rpg; 2.0
Boston College Capsule
The Eagles opened the season with two road contests where they lost to Boston University 52-46 and then defeated Holy Cross 71-52.
Boston College (1-1) returns seven letterwinners including four starters from last year’s team that compiled a 7-23, 2-14 record, finishing 10th in the Atlantic Coast Conference.
• Head coach: Erik Johnson is in his first year at BC
• Team’s leading scorer: #45 Katie Zenevitch, 15.0 ppg
• Team’s leading rebounder: #45 Katie Zenevitch, 11.5 rpg
• Team’s assist leader: #3 Tessah Holt, 3.5 apg
• Team’s steals leader: #21 Kristen Doherty, 2.0 spg
This will be the first meeting between the two schools.
Harvard has compiled a 1-1 record to date losing at North Dakota State 81-72 and then beating North Dakota 65-52 on the road.
Last year the Crimson tallied an 18-12, 10-4 record including a second place finish in the Ivy League. They return 13 letterwinners including four starters.
• Head coach: Kathy Delaney-Smith is in her 30th season at Harvard
• Team’s leading scorer: #22 Christine Clark, 16.0 ppg
• 3 other players also score in double digits - #21 Victoria Lippert, 13.0, #14 Temi Fagbenle 12.5, #13 Emma Golen, 11.5
• Team’s leading rebounder: #14 Fagbenle, 9.0 rpg
• Team’s assist leader: #25 Miriam Rutzen, 4.5 apg
• Team’s steals leader: Three players are averaging 2.5 spg - #21 Lippert, #14 Fagbenle and #11 Jasmine Evans
BYU leads the series 1-0. These two schools met last during the 2006-07 season with the Cougars picking up the 66-51 road win on Nov. 29, 2006 in Boston. In that game, current assistant Melinda Johnsen Bendall was a guard/forward starter and Haley Steed came off the bench. Bendall played 27 minutes tallying two points, two rebounds and one assist. Steed played 26 minutes and scored 10 points, recorded four assists and two steals.
Graduate student Haley Steed and senior Keilani Unga have been chosen by their teammates as co-captains for the 2012-13 season. This is Steed’s fifth straight co-captain selection.
Player Injury Report
Sophomore guard Stephanie Rovetti suffered a cartilage injury to her left knee in a team practice. She is out for the season.
After the three game road swing through the Northeast, the team continues play on the road at Arizona on Nov. 20 and at Washington State on Nov. 24.
Whiting welcomes Wardenburg to coaching staff
BYU head coach Amber Whiting announced the addition of assistant coach John Wardenburg to her coaching staff, Friday…
Whiting adds Jana Sallman to 2023 signing class
BYU head coach Amber Whiting announced the addition of 6’3” forward Jana Sallman of Egypt to the 2023 signing class.