BYU heads to Saint Mary's and Pacific this week
PROVO, Utah – The BYU women's basketball team will head back out on the road for games against Saint Mary's on Thursday and Pacific on Saturday. Thursday's game at the University Credit Union Pavilion vs. the Gaels will begin at 6:30 p.m. PT while Saturday's matchup at Pacific is set for 2 p.m. PT at the Alex G. Spanos Center. Both games will be streamed on the WCC Network.
BYU (11-9, 6-3) at Saint Mary's (10-10, 4-5)
Thursday, Jan. 26
6:30 p.m. PT
University Credit Union Pavilion
Stream: WCC Network
BYU (11-9, 6-3) at Pacific (7-13, 2-7)
Saturday, Jan. 28
2 p.m. PT
Alex G. Spanos Center
Stream: WCC Network
On Twitter: @BYUwbb
- SAINT MARY’S (JAN. 26). The Gaels are 10-10 on the season, coming off back-to-back losses against Portland and Gonzaga at home. The Gaels visited Provo earlier in the season, going home with a 66-41 loss.
- PACIFIC (JAN 28). Pacific has lost four in a row and will play San Diego on Thursday before taking on BYU. The Cougars beat the Tigers 69-51 at the Marriott Center in game one of the season series .
- CONFERENCE PLAY. The Cougars are into West Coast Conference action for the remainder of the 2022-23 season. BYU is 6-3 in league play and currently sit in third place behind Gonzaga (9-0) and Portland (8-1) in the No. 1 and No. 2 spots.
- SCORING DUO. BYU has two players averaging double-figure scoring with Lauren Gustin and Nani Falatea. Gustin leads the squad and is fifth in the WCC at 15.8 points while Falatea is ninth at 14.7 points. Falatea is coming off back-to-back 20-point efforts.
- NATION’S BEST. Forward Lauren Gustin continues to be a force down low, leading the nation with 16.3 rebounds per game. She is No. 2 in double-doubles with 19 in 20 games. Gustin is averaging 15.8 points per game and 16.2 rebounds. She is No. 1 nationally in total rebounds with 325. The junior from Salem, Utah has posted 20 or more rebounds six times this year to lead the country. She had 20 against Oklahoma, 23 against Monmouth, 22 against Pacific, a career-high 24 against San Diego, 24 at LMU and 20 against Pepperdine. She has posted two 20-20 games this year. Gustin was recently named to the Naismith College Women’s Defensive Player of the Year Award watch list.
- MILESTONES. Gustin is also approaching two major milestones. With 48 double-doubles, No. 50 is on the horizon and with 963 career rebounds, the 1,000 mark is getting close. She would join Tina Gunn Robison as the only other BYU player to hit both marks.
Cougar comeback comes up short in WNIT loss to Rice
BYU women’s basketball ended its 2023 season Friday evening with a 71-67 loss to the Rice Owls in the WNIT Postseason…
Cougars take on Rice in WNIT round of 64
BYU women's basketball will open its WNIT Postseason Tournament play as the Cougars take on the Rice Owls in the Round…