BYU welcomes San Francisco and Santa Clara to Marriott Center
PROVO, Utah – The BYU women's basketball team, winners of six in a row, hosts San Francisco on Thursday and Santa Clara on Saturday at the Marriott Center. Thursday's game is set to begin at 11 a.m. MT while Saturday's contest is at 2 p.m. MT. Both games will be broadcast on BYUtv, the BYUtv App and BYUtv.org
The weekday early game Thursday will feature thousands of local elementary school children in attendance for an annual kid's game. Halftime will be Tyler's Amazing Balancing Act for some extra entertainment at the game.
- SAN FRANCISCO (JAN. 19). The Dons are 13-6 on the year and 3-4 to start WCC play. San Francisco is coming off a loss vs. Saint Mary’s last week. USF features the WCC’s leading scorer in Ioanna Krimili, averaging 18.2 points per game.
- SANTA CLARA (JAN 21). Santa Clara has a record of 11-9 and is 2-5 in league action. The Broncos beat Pacific last week 80-66 and will be at San Diego on Thursday before heading to Provo. Tess Heal is No. 3 in scoring in the WCC at 16.4 points per game.
- CONFERENCE PLAY. The Cougars are into West Coast Conference action for the remainder of the 2022-23 season. BYU has won five league games in a row after beating LMU and Pepperdine on the road last week.
- SCORING DUO. BYU has two players averaging double-figure scoring with Lauren Gustin and Nani Falatea. Gustin leads the squad and is eighth in the WCC at 15.3 points while Falatea is at 13.9 points. Rose Bubakar is just outside the double-digit group with 9.2 points per game.
- NATION’S BEST. Forward Lauren Gustin continues to be a force down low, leading the nation with 16.2 rebounds per game. She is No. 2 in double-doubles with 17 in 18 games. Gustin is averaging 15.3 points per game and 16.2 rebounds. She is No. 1 nationally in total rebounds with 291. The junior from Salem, Utah has posted 20 or more rebounds six times this year to lead the country. She had 20 against Oklahoma, 23 against Monmouth, 22 against Pacific, a career-high 24 against San Diego, 24 at LMU and 20 against Pepperdine. She has posted two 20-20 games this year. Gustin has 46 career double-doubles at BYU.
BYU guard Arielle Mackey-Williams is set to compete for the New Zealand Tall Ferns in the FIBA 3x3 – Edmonton Stop on…