Kenny Cox | Posted: 5 Jan 2023 | Updated: 2 Feb 2023
BYU and San Diego to match up Saturday
PROVO, Utah – BYU women's basketball will host San Diego on Saturday to finish off a four-game homestand for the Cougars. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. MT and the game will be televised on BYUtv, the BYUtv App and BYUtv.org.
BYU (7-8, 2-2) vs. San Diego (8-7, 2-2)
Saturday, Jan, 7, 2023
Live TV: BYUtv
Stream: BYUtv App and BYUtv.org
On Twitter: @BYUwbb
- SAN DIEGO (JAN. 7). The Toreros are coming off back-to-back wins over Saint Mary’s and Pacific. San Diego outlasted the Gaels in overtime on Dec. 29 before getting an 84-74 win over the Tigers on Dec. 31. The Toreros are 8-7 on the year with a 2-2 mark in West Coast Conference action.
- LAST GAME. BYU has won three in a row after beating Saint Mary’s on Saturday. The Cougars used multiple runs during the game to beat up on the Gaels 66-41 in Provo. BYU also beat Pacific earlier in the week to move to 2-2 in league play.
- CONFERENCE PLAY. The Cougars are into West Coast Conference action for the remainder of the 2022-23 season. BYU dropped the first two WCC games on the road (at Gonzaga, at Portland) but now have now won back-to-back home WCC contests against Pacific and Saint Mary’s and have a chance for three in a row against San Diego before their next road trip. Last season, BYU won the WCC regular-season conference crown, going 15-1. The Cougars were picked to finish third this season in the preseason coaches poll.
- SCORING TRIO. BYU has three players averaging double-figure scoring with Lauren Gustin, Nani Falatea and Rose Bubakar. Gustin leads the category with 15.5 points per game while Falatea averages 13.7 and Bubakar 10.1.
- DOUBLE-DOUBLE MACHINE. Forward Lauren Gustin continues to be a force down low is No. 1 in double-doubles with 14 in 15 games. Gustin is averaging 15.5 points per game and 14.9 rebounds. She is No. 1 nationally in total rebounds with 233 and tied for No. 1 in rebounds per game at 14.9. The junior from Salem, Utah has posted 20 or more rebounds three times this season, with 20 against Oklahoma, a career-high 23 against Monmouth and 22 against Pacific.
Cougar comeback comes up short in WNIT loss to Rice
BYU women’s basketball ended its 2023 season Friday evening with a 71-67 loss to the Rice Owls in the WNIT Postseason…
Cougars take on Rice in WNIT round of 64
BYU women's basketball will open its WNIT Postseason Tournament play as the Cougars take on the Rice Owls in the Round…