Kenny Cox | Posted: 5 Dec 2022 | Updated: 11 Jan 2023
BYU faces in-state foe Utah State on Tuesday
PROVO, Utah – The Cougars head up north for an in-state matchup against Utah State at the Smith Spectrum in Logan on Tuesday at 11 a.m. MT. The game will be streamed on the Mountain West Network.
Utah State (3-5) is coming off back-to-back wins against Weber State and Utah Valley while BYU (3-5) beat Boise State on the road last week.
BYU (3-5) at Utah State (3-5)
Tuesday, Dec. 6
Stream: MW Network
Live Stats at Utah State
On Twitter: @BYUwbb
- UTAH STATE (DEC. 6). BYU and Utah State are meeting for the 45th time in the series. The Cougars have dominated the series, owning a 39-4 record against the Aggies. Last year the two schools met in Provo with BYU winning 101-74.
- LAST GAME. The Cougars got their first true road win with a 76-67 victory at Boise State last Thursday. Lauren Gustin continued to be a force down low, scoring a season-high 24 points and pulled down 17 rebounds for her 8th double-double in eight games.
- NEW ERA. BYU has a new head coach in Amber Whiting for the first time in 21 seasons after the retirement of Jeff Judkins. Judkins, the winningest coach in school history (455 wins) paved the way for first-time head coach Amber Whiting, a Cougar alum to take the rains in 2022-23. BYU is will also need to replace the WCC Player of the Year (Shaylee Gonzales), another All-WCC First Team selection (Paisley Harding) and an All-WCC Honorable Mention (Tegan Graham). The Cougars are also replacing point guard Maria Albiero who was tied with Paisley Harding for the most played games in school history.
- DOUBLE-DOUBLE MACHINE. Forward Lauren Gustin continues to be a force down low, No. 2 nationally in double-doubles with 8, one in every game to start the year. She is averaging 16.4 points per game and 14.0 rebounds. She is No.2 nationally in rebounds per game. The junior from Salem, Utah, is No. 3 in total rebounds with 112. Gustin posted a season-high 20 rebounds against No. 16 Oklahoma.
- SPREADING IT AROUND. BYU has had seven different players hit double figures in a single game. Lauren Gustin has done it in every game (8) while Nani Falatea has six games. Kaylee Smiler has hit at least 10 four times, Rose Bubakar 4 times, Arielle Mackey-Williams twice, and Amanda Barcello and Emma Calvert have done it in one game apiece.
Cougar comeback comes up short in WNIT loss to Rice
BYU women’s basketball ended its 2023 season Friday evening with a 71-67 loss to the Rice Owls in the WNIT Postseason…
Cougars take on Rice in WNIT round of 64
BYU women's basketball will open its WNIT Postseason Tournament play as the Cougars take on the Rice Owls in the Round…