BYU to play Maryland in second round of NISC
PROVO, Utah — After picking up a 5-2 win against San José State to open NISC play on Thursday afternoon, BYU softball prepares to face Maryland in a second round matchup.
The Cougars (33-16, 11-4 WCC) and Terrapins will square off in their quarterfinal contest at TC Colorado's Horsetooth Field on Friday, May 19 at Noon MDT, with the winner advancing Saturday morning's semifinal game.
2023 National Invitational Softball Championship
- BYU vs. Maryland
- Friday, May 19 (Noon MDT)
- Live Stream: Triple Crown Sports/YouTube
- Live Stats: Sidearm Stats
BYU was fueled by a pair of home runs in its victory over the Spartans, led by first baseman Huntyr Ava's team-leading 15th long bomb. The senior sent out a two-run shot that broke a 2-2 tie and gave the Cougars the lead for good on Thursday.
Freshman designated player Maddie Udall hit the first homer of her collegiate career an inning later to help secure the victory. Center fielder Maddie Bejarano and right fielder/second baseman Mallory Barber each tallied RBI as well for BYU.
Bejarano went 2-for-2 on the day, while Barber finished 2-for-3. Third baseman Martha Epenesa and second baseman Tristen Turlington each drew a walk.
Starting righty Kaysen Korth (19-8) tossed all seven innings, giving up just three hits and two runs while striking out eight SJSU batters. The Cougars tallied eight hits, recording at least one hit and one run of of the two San José State pitchers they faced.
BYU now turns its attention to Maryland, in a Puerto Vallarta College Challenge rematch from the second day and third game of the Cougars' 2023 season.
Maryland (37-17, 11-11 Big Ten)
- The Terrapins run-ruled CSUN in their NISC opener, beating the Matadors, 8-0 in six innings
- Maryland dropped its first game of the Big Ten Tournament last week to Iowa, who is also participating in the 2023 NISC and competing in the opposite pod
- The only common opponents between the Terrapins and Cougars this season are North Dakota State and North Carolina
- Mark Montgomery is in her fourth season at Maryland, posting a 97-76 (.561) record since 2020
- The all-time series between the two teams is tied, 2-2 after the Terrapins beat BYU in Mexico earlier this year, 10-2 (5)
- Cougar head coach Gordon Eakin is 1-2 against Maryland during his tenure, with all three matchups occurring at neutral sites
With a win over the Terrapins, BYU would advance to Saturday morning's NISC semifinal, scheduled for 9 a.m. MDT on Red Rocks Field. If the Cougars fall to Maryland, they would drop into the loser's bracket and play a second game at Horsetooth Field immediately following, facing the winner of Friday morning's CSUN-San José State contest. The elimination game would also be for a shot at a Saturday semifinal slated for Noon MDT.
BYU softball will hold walk-on tryouts at Gail Miller Field on Friday, Sept. 8 at 2 p.m. MDT.