Five games this week against Southern Utah, Utah Valley and San Diego
PROVO, Utah – A busy week of softball begins for BYU as the Cougars travel to Southern Utah Monday and host Utah Valley Tuesday before heading to conference foe San Diego this weekend for a three-game series.
The rescheduled game between the Cougars (28-20, 8-1 West Coast Conference) and Thunderbirds (7-36, 4-14 Big Sky) will take place Monday at 4 p.m. MDT at Kathryn Berg Field. BYU then returns to Provo Tuesday to host a Cystic Fibrosis Awareness game against Utah Valley (19-24, 10-4 Western Athletic Conference) in the UCCU Crosstown Clash at 6 p.m. MDT. The Cougars conclude the week in San Diego (25-24, 4-8 WCC) with a matchup Friday at 6 p.m. PDT and a doubleheader Saturday at 12 and 2 p.m. PDT.
Monday’s Southern Utah game can be streamed on PlutoTV Channel 236 while the UCCU Crosstown Clash will be televised locally on KBYU-TV/Channel 11 and streamed live on YouTube. Links to the streams and live stats for all games will be available on the BYU softball schedule page.
BYU celebrates Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month on Tuesday with 6-year-old Team IMPACT teammate Emily Sorenson throwing the first pitch. The Cougars will wear purple ribbons and 100 purple plastic bracelets will be given out to fans.
- The Cougars swept the Thunderbirds earlier this season at Gail Miller Park in two five-inning games. In the first game, Alexa Strid went a perfect 3 for 3 at the plate, with five of the team’s eight RBI. Briielle Breland also went 2 for 2 with two RBI, including two home runs. Five players contributed multiple hits to BYU's 14-hit tally in the night cap. Lexi Tarrow went 3 for 4 while Rylee Jensen, Libby Sugg, Emilee Erickson and Strid each contributed two hits for the Cougars.
- In the earlier UCCU Crosstown Clash matchup this year, BYU shut out Utah Valley 11-0 in five innings in Orem. Three Cougars had multiple hits, led by Libby Sugg’s perfect 3 for 3 from the plate and four RBI. Sugg hit her 10th home run of the season, a three-run dinger, and two doubles. Lexi Tarrow went 2 for 3 while Caitlyn Alldredge went 2 for 2, including one home run.
- Currently in second behind LMU in the WCC standings, BYU continues conference play against San Diego this weekend. The Cougars will play LMU (28-21-1, 11-1 WCC) in the final week of the regular season.
- BYU ranks No. 28 nationally and No. 1 in the WCC in home runs per game with 1.0. Twelve Cougars have combined to hit 48 homers in 48 games so far this season, led by Libby Sugg’s 10. Caitlyn Alldredge follows with seven while Rylee Jensen and Briielle Breland have six each. Lexi Tarrow has hit four while Alexa Strid, Madison Merrell, Bridget Fleener and Allie Hancock have all hit three apiece. Ashley Godfrey, Emilee Erickson and Olivia Sanchez have also hit dingers.
Southern Utah (7-36, 4-14 Big Sky)
- The Thunderbirds are 7-36 on the season and 4-14 in the Big Sky, most recently going 1-2 at Idaho State.
- BYU leads in the overall series 54-7. The Cougars swept a doubleheader earlier this season at home with 8-0 and 10-2 victories.
- Head coach Tom Gray is in his fourth season at Southern Utah and has an overall record of 55-134 with the Thunderbirds.
Utah Valley (19-24, 10-4 WAC) | Game Notes
- The Wolverines are 19-24 and 10-4 in conference play in 2018. Last week, they swept conference foe CSU Bakersfield.
- BYU leads the overall series 38-4 and won 11-0 in five innings against UVU earlier this season.
- TJ Hubbard is in his second season at the helm of the Utah Valley program after going 16-24 in 2017.
San Diego (25-24, 4-8 WCC)
- The Toreros are 25-24 this year and 4-8 in WCC play. They recently dropped three games to conference leader LMU.
- BYU leads the overall series 19-5 and went 3-0 against San Diego in 2017.
- Head coach Melissa McElvain is in her 17th season with the Torero program and has compiled an overall record of 361-473.
Eakin announces signing of transfers Owens and Agbayani
BYU softball head coach Gordon Eakin has announced the signing of transfers Lily Owens and Aleia Agbayani, who will…
Cougars tab five on WCC All-Academic teams
Senior pitcher Chloe Temples highlighted five BYU softball student-athletes on the 2023 West Coast Conference All-…