BYU Slips Past Harvard
CAMBRIDGE -- After the opening day of the Harvard Kick-Off Tournament, the No. 62 BYU men’s tennis team came away with a 4-3 win over No. 61 Harvard.
The Crimson captured the first point of the contest after taking the doubles matches on courts one and two. Georgy Batrakov and Daniel Hwang were the only Cougar pair to earn a victory in doubles play, an 8-2 decision at the No. 3 spot.
In singles, BYU charged back with Cassidy Mears and Batrakov notching wins to put the Cougars ahead by one. Harvard responded with wins at the Nos. 5 and 6 positions. But in the end, Thomas Shubert and Evan Urbina were both able to come out on the winning end of three-set matches to secure the 4-3 win for BYU. With the victory, the Cougars improve to 3-0 on the season.
BYU will continue play Saturday at 9: 30 a.m. ET against DePaul and finish the tournament with singles play versus No. 67 Mississippi State.
No. 62 BYU-4
No. 61 Harvard-3
1. Omodele-Lucien/Schultz (Harvard) def. Shubert/Mears (BYU) 8-6
2. Nguyen/Felton (Harvard) def. Urbina/Smith (BYU) 8-6
3. Batrakov/Hwang (BYU) def. Chijoff-Evans/Hayes (Harvard) 8-2
1. Shubert (BYU) def. Chijoff-Evans (Harvard) 6-7, 6-3, 6-2
2. Urbina (BYU) def. Omodele-Lucien (Harvard) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Mears (BYU) def. Tchan (Harvard) 6-4, 6-2
4. Batrakov (BYU) def. Nguyen (Harvard) 6-4, 6-3
5. Felton (Harvard) def. Smith (BYU) 6-0, 6-7, 7-5
6. Schultz (Harvard) def. Eraso (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe has announced Zack Warren as BYU head men’s tennis coach.