Cougars Drop Semifinal Match To Lobos
PROVO, Utah (April 25, 2003) Despite a strong performance in doubles play, the number 61 ranked BYU men's tennis team was unable to pick up a point in singles play and eventually dropped a 4-0 decision to number 60 New Mexico in the second semifinal match at this year's MWC Men's Tennis Championships, Friday. The Lobos will meet top seeded SDSU in the title game on Saturday afternoon.
The match was closely contested in doubles play as both teams battled down to the wire before New Mexico got the lead with wins from their number one and three doubles duos. In singles play, the Lobos' David Kowalski extended the lead to 2-0 with a 6-3, 6-1 win over BYU's Jeff Olsen.
At the number three and six singles spots it was the Cougars' Carlos Lechuga and Anton Rudjuk who got off to a good start wining the first set 6-4 and 6-2 respectively to give BYU a possible come from behind win over the Lobos. But it was New Mexico who came back with wins at the number five and two singles position that clinched the win for the second seeded UNM team
The finals are set to begin at 2 p.m., between New Mexico and San Diego State. BYU will get a chance to finish in third place with a win over Air Force in the 10 a.m. match Saturday.
1. Erik Nyman (BYU) vs. Bart Scott (UNM) 6-7, DNF
2. Divan Coetzee (UNM) def. Carlos Lozano (BYU) 3-6, 2-6
3. Jose Lechuga (BYU) def. Brent Salazar (UNM) 6-4, DNF
4. David Kowalski (UNM) def. Jeff Olsen (BYU) 3-6, 1-6
5. Ryan Stotland (UNM) def. Alonso Medina (BYU) 2-6, 3-6
6. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) vs. Jasmin Hodzic (UNM) 6-2, DNF
1. Salazar/Stotland (UNM) def. Nyman/Lozano (BYU) 8-9 (4)
2. Lechuga/Rudjuk (BYU) vs. Scott Hodzic (UNM) 8-8, DNF
3. Kowalski/Coetzee (UNM) def. Olsen/Medina (BYU) 8-9
Wally Thayne has been named No. 12 in the Mountain Regional singles rankings for his 2022-23 season performance, the…