Loss to Boise State - Third Loss this Week
BOISE -- The No. 59 BYU men's tennis team lost their third match of the week on Friday when the Broncos of Boise State edged the Cougars 5-2. The loss drops the Cougars to a 7-8 overall record on the season.
The Cougars came out strong against the fifty-first ranked Broncos by claiming the doubles point. Jose Lechuga and Anton Rudjuk beat Mahmoud Rezk and Thomas Schoeck 8-5 at the No. 2 spot and Alonso Medina and Jeff Olsen beat Ehren Vaughan and Matias Silva 8-4 at No. 3 doubles.
"We came out and played well enough to win the doubles point," said BYU head coach Jim Osborne. "We just didn't keep it going in singles."
In singles, Carlos Lozano was the lone Cougar to win in singles. He beat Guillaume Bouvier 6-4, 7-5 at No. 2 singles. Erik Nyman at No. 1 and Jeff Olsen at No. 5 both won the first set of their matches, but were unable to hold on for the win.
The Cougars conclude their week-long road trip on Saturday as the take on No. 50 Fresno State in Boise.
Final Score: Boise State 5, Brigham Young 2
1. Berntson/Bouvier (BSU) def. Lozano/Nyman (BYU) 9-8
2. Lechuga/Rudjuk (BYU) def. Rezk/Schoeck (BSU) 8-5
3. Medina/Olsen (BYU) def. Silva/Ehren Vaughan (BSU) 8-4
1. Marcus Berntson (BSU) def. Erik Nyman (BYU) 6-7, 7-6, 6-2
2. Carlos Lozano (BYU) def. Guillaume Bouvier (BSU) 6-4, 7-5
3. Thomas Schoeck (BSU) def. Jose Lechuga (BYU) 6-0, 6-4
4. Nils Klemann (BSU) def. Alonso Medina (BYU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Matias Silva (BSU) def. Jeff Olsen (BYU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
6. Mahmoud Rezk (BSU) def. Anton Rudjuk (BYU) 7-6, 6-4
BYU Director of Athletics Tom Holmoe has announced Zack Warren as BYU head men’s tennis coach.